Tensor transforming law problem / metric-delta contraction

In summary, the conversation involves two questions. The first question is about changing basis and tensors, specifically the law of transformation for a 02 tensor and an exercise involving a tensor in different coordinate systems. The second question is about metric-delta contractions and whether it works for \delta_{\nu\lambda}. The conversation ends with a clarification about the kronecker delta and its use as a tensor.
teddd
Hey guys it's me again!
I'm now asking you 2 question, I'm sure you'll be helpful as usual!

1) changing basis- changing tensors

ok, the law of transformation of a (let's make this simple) 02 tensor is [tex]g_{\mu '\nu '}=\frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial {x^{\mu}}'}\frac{\partial x^\beta}{\partial {x^{\nu}}'} g_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]where the prime indices indicate the new coordinate system.

I found an exercise where you're given the tensor [tex]
S_{\mu\nu=}\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1&0\\0&x^2
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]

in coordinate [itex](x^1=x , x^2=y)[/itex]
and you're asked to write it down in the new primed coordinate [itex](x^1=x',x^2=y')[/itex] with[tex]x'=\frac{2x} {y}[/tex] and [tex]y'=\frac{y}{2}[/tex]

So that
[tex]\begin{array}{ccc}
\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial {x^{1}}'}&=&y'\\
\frac{\partial x^ 2}{\partial {x^{2}}'}&=&x'\\
\frac{\partial x^1} {\partial {x^{2}}'}&=&0\\
\frac{\partial x^2}{\partial {x^{2}}'}&=&2\\
\end{array}[/tex]Now using the formula above i can write, for the first element :[tex]S_{1 ' 1 '}= \frac{\partial x^\alpha}{\partial {x^{1}}'}\frac{\partial x^\beta} {\partial {x^{1}}'}S_{\alpha\beta}=(\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial {x^{1}}'})^2S_{11}+2\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial {x^{1}}'}\frac{\partial x^2}{\partial {x^{1}}'}S_{21}+(\frac{\partial x^2}{\partial {x^{1}}'})^2 S_{22}=(y')^2 +(x')^4(y')^2[/tex]which is incorrect, becaouse it should come [itex]S_{1'1'}=(y')^2[/itex]

And all of the rest came up to be wrong, I get[tex]S_{\mu '\nu '=}\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
(y')^2 +(x')^4(y')^2&2(y')^2(x')^3\\2(y')^2(x')^3&4(x'y')^2
\end{array}
\right)[/tex] whil it should be [tex]S_{\mu '\nu '=}\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
(y')^2&x'y'\\x'y'&4(x'y')^2 +(x')^2
\end{array}
\right)[/tex]what am I missing?
2) metric-delta contractions

This question is about the contraction of the metric.
I know that [tex]g_{\mu\nu}g^{\mu\lambda}=\delta_{\nu}^{\lambda}[/tex] where [itex]\delta_{\nu}^{\lambda}[/itex] is the Kronecker delta, equal to 1 if [itex]\nu=\lambda[/itex], to 0 otherwise.

But, does it works even for [itex]\delta_{\nu\lambda}[/itex] ?
I mean, it's still 0 if [itex]\nu=\lambda[/itex] and to 0 otherwise?

I am pushed to say no, becaouse if I contrac the delta with the metric I get [tex]g^{\kappa\nu}\delta_{\nu\lambda}=\delta^{\kappa}_{\lambda}[/tex] this tensor certainly isn't the kronecker delta (the identity matrix), but will contain some terms of the metric!

isnt'it??

Thanks for the attention!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To answer your second question,

[tex]
\delta_{\mu\nu} = g_{\mu\lambda}\delta^{\lambda}_{\nu} = g_{\mu\nu}
[/tex]

So a delta with only lower indices IS the metric, you just give it another name.

Thanks a lot haushofer for your answes, to both of my posts!

now I wait for the first question...:tongue2:

But (excuse me for insisting!) Gravitation (the book) and wikipedia says that the kronecker delta IS [itex]\delta_{\mu\nu}[/itex]!

It is becaouse actually in this form is NOT a tensor but a normal generalized function and therefore it makes no sense to contrac it with the metric?

I mean, the kronecker deta, as a tensor, is only [itex]\delta^{\mu}_\nu[/itex] and contracting with the metric gives the metric itself (like you rightfully say)

1. What is a tensor transforming law problem?

A tensor transforming law problem refers to the process of transforming a tensor from one coordinate system to another. This is necessary in order to accurately describe the same physical phenomenon in different frames of reference.

2. How is a tensor transformed?

A tensor is transformed by using the tensor transformation law, which involves multiplying the original tensor by a transformation matrix. This matrix accounts for the differences in coordinate systems and ensures that the tensor is correctly described in the new frame of reference.

3. What is a metric-delta contraction?

A metric-delta contraction is a mathematical operation that involves contracting a tensor with the metric tensor and the Kronecker delta. This operation is used in general relativity to calculate the curvature of spacetime and is crucial in understanding the behavior of massive objects in the universe.

4. What is the significance of tensor transforming law problem and metric-delta contraction in physics?

The tensor transforming law problem and metric-delta contraction are fundamental concepts in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity and quantum mechanics. They allow us to accurately describe and understand the behavior of physical systems in different frames of reference, and are essential in making predictions and calculations in these fields.

5. Are there any real-world applications of tensor transforming law problem and metric-delta contraction?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of these concepts. For example, they are used in GPS technology to accurately pinpoint locations on Earth by taking into account the effects of relativity. They are also used in computer graphics to render 3D images and in engineering to model complex systems. Additionally, they play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles in particle physics experiments.