Term used in magnetism for grade 9

In summary, the name given to the path along which a free north pole end of a magnet would point is called a magnetic field line. This is the path that the magnet will align itself in the presence of the magnetic field of the earth, known as the Meridian. It is an abstract line that connects the north pole to the south pole of the Earth and all points on this line have the same longitude.
songoku
What is the name given to the path along which a free north pole end of a magnet would point?
Name of a "path"? The name is magnetic field line? north pole?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "a free north pole end of a magnet"? The north pole of a magnet that's free to rotate in any direction?

If that is the case, then I'm not aware of any specific name for this "path". The magnet will tend to align itself so as to minimize the potential energy in the local magnetic field (so that the net torque acting on the magnet is zero).

Likes songoku
gneill said:
What do you mean by "a free north pole end of a magnet"? The north pole of a magnet that's free to rotate in any direction?
Not sure. I got this question from 9 grader and the girl showed me the photo of the question. The full wording is exactly as I wrote.

I have tried googling but to no avail

I think the exercise wants to name the path that the magnet will align itself in the presence of the magnetic field of the earth. It is called Meridian, the abstract line that connect the north pole to the south pole of the Earth and all the points of a given meridian have the same longitude.

Likes songoku
Thanks for your help gneill and delta

What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a physical phenomenon that describes the force of attraction or repulsion between objects that have a magnetic field. It is caused by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, and is a fundamental aspect of electromagnetism.

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible area around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces are exerted. It is represented by magnetic field lines, which show the direction and strength of the magnetic force.

What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is made of a material, such as iron or steel, that has its own magnetic field and can retain its magnetism over a long period of time. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire and only has a magnetic field when the current is flowing.

What is the right-hand rule in magnetism?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of the magnetic field around a current-carrying wire or a moving charged particle. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current or particle's motion, the curl of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

What are the applications of magnetism in everyday life?

Magnetism has many practical uses in our daily lives, including in electric motors, generators, speakers, hard drives, credit cards, and magnetic therapy. It is also used in industrial processes, such as separating metals and purifying water.