Term-wise Differentiation of Power Series

1. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,681
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For those who don't know I'm writing a tutorial (Introduction / Summary of Differentiation) in the tutorials forum. I have come to the point of introducing Transcendental functions. I would like to introduce the exponential function first (via the Taylor series) and then present the natural logarithm as it's inverse. Although not entirely necessary, I would like to present a concise proof of term-wise differentiation of power series in the tutorial.

If anyone knows of a concise online proof, or even better, would be willing to contribute a proof directly, please let me know, either in this thread or via PM.

Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. I would say that it follows from the linearity of differentiation

4. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,310
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because you are talking about an infinite series, you also need the fact that a power series converges uniformly inside its radius of convergence.

5. Hootenanny

Hootenanny 9,681
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it necessary that both the original and differentiated series converges uniformally, I thought that the original series need only converge?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?