Selecting a Graduate Advisor: Tips and Tests for Making the Right Choice

• Testing
  • Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, when choosing an advisor for graduate school, it is important to consider both research interests and personality. It is generally better to have an advisor with a similar personality than with similar research interests. It is also important to ask potential advisors about their expectations for the coming years, such as how often you will meet and how much guidance you can expect. It is also recommended to ask about the possibility of exploring different research interests. Remember that choosing an advisor is not a one-time decision and it is okay to change your choice. To help make a decision, you can ask for a short-term project to test your interest in the research and compatibility with the advisor. Ultimately, as a graduate student, you have more freedom and responsibility in choosing your
Aero51
I'm at the point in my graduate career where I must select an advisor within the coming months. I have about 4 professors narrowed down based on research interests and experience. One professor I get along with very well, but believe our academic interests are not exactly aligned. Another has more similar research interests but our personalities are not the best match. I am trying to think of ways to narrow down my selection. What "tests" should I try on potential advisors to help guide me in a selection.

Note: by tests I don't mean literal exams. That would be absurd. Think of a test as a clever question, body language, reaction to a situation, etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is quite important. I personally feel that it is better to have an advisor with a similar personality than to have an advisor with similar interests (provided that the interests of your advisor are not very far off). If your personalities don't match, then the next few years could end up really bad. For example, it could be that you are an independent person. An advisor that is pushy might not be in your best interest.

A thing you should certainly ask your advisors is how the coming years are going to look like. that is: do they expect to see you every day? How often do you meet each other? How much guidance should you expect? etc.

To the advisor whose interests don't completely match yours, you should ask what he would think if you would do research in something different (but close). Just tell him that your interests don't seem to match up completely and ask whether that is a significant problem.

Don't forget that picking an advisor is not a one-time deal. You are allowed to change your choice.

A good idea is to figure out who you are most interested in working with, and ask him to give you a short term (~1 year) project to test whether or not you really want to do research in that field (also, be sure that the test project really is only a 1 year project; these things have a tendency to run on). If you like the research and you get along with the advisor, great. If you don't like the research or you can't stand your advisor, then no harm done; at worst, you've lost a year, and if you switch to an advisor in a related field you haven't even lost that.

One of the traps that grad. students fall into is thinking that they have less freedom than they actually do. Remember that, at the end of the day, the responsibility for the research you do as a grad. student is yours. You pick your dissertation topic, you do the research, you write the dissertation.

What qualities should I look for in a potential graduate advisor?

In selecting a graduate advisor, it is important to consider their qualifications, experience, and research interests. Look for someone who has a strong track record of successful graduate student mentorship, is actively engaged in research, and shares similar research interests with you.

What questions should I ask a potential graduate advisor during an interview?

Some important questions to ask during an interview with a potential graduate advisor include their expectations for graduate students, their approach to mentorship, funding opportunities, and their availability and communication style.

How can I assess a potential graduate advisor's mentorship style?

One way to assess a potential graduate advisor's mentorship style is by talking to their current or former students. You can also ask for a sample of their graduate students' publications or theses to get a sense of their mentorship and guidance in research.

What should I do if I have multiple potential graduate advisors to choose from?

If you have multiple potential graduate advisors to choose from, consider scheduling individual meetings with each one to get a better understanding of their research, mentorship style, and expectations. Additionally, you can reach out to their current or former students for insights and advice.

What are some red flags to watch out for in a potential graduate advisor?

Some red flags to watch out for in a potential graduate advisor include a lack of availability or communication, a history of not successfully graduating students, or a mismatch in research interests. It is important to thoroughly research and consider all aspects before making a decision.