Textbook for electormechanical design reference

In summary, OldEngr63 recommends the book "Dynamics of Mechanical and Electromechanical Systems" by Crandall, Karnopp, Kurtz, and Pridmore-Brown as an outstanding textbook for understanding both mechanical and electromechanical systems. The book is based on Hamilton's Principle and requires some knowledge of calculus of variations. Another difficult but comprehensive book is "Electromechanical Energy Conversion" by White and Woodson. These books are out of print due to poor sales, but can still be found at high prices. SuperDaniel was able to purchase a new copy after a long negotiation.
MagnetDude
I am working on a lot of things with electric motors, and many other electromechanical devices. Any textbook comes to mind?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an old one that I still think is outstanding:
Dynamics of Mechanical and Electromechanical Systems by Crandall, Karnopp, Kurtz, and Pridmore-Brown.

It is unusual in that the whole book is built around Hamilton's Principle. This serves to unify the treatment of both mechanical and electromechanical systems into a highly understandable systems approach. I recommend it very strongly, but your really need to be ready to do some calculus of variations (explained in the book) to do it right.

Another similar, but much, much more difficult books is the electromechanical systems book by White and Woodson (I forget the exact title, published about 1958 roughly). It is a bear, but quite complete. Again, Hamilton's Principle and calculus of variations.

I totally agree with you, Oldengr63: Crandall's textbook is excellent. The only problem with that book is the fact that, as it is out of print, and, I understand there is a sort of scarcity, some sellers ask for a used book an arm and a leg.

The White and Woodson you mentioned is: Electromechanical Energy Conversion.

In addition to this, MagnetDude, you can download interesting material here:

http://www.rle.mit.edu/cehv/bookssolutionmanuals.htm

I do not understand why all these books are out of print... these are really useful and, some sellers are asking more than $200 for a 30 years old book.

Finally, let me add another interesting sources:

System Dynamics, Katsuhiko Ogata
Modern Control Engineering, Katsuhiko Ogata

As well as a really practical book: Motors and Drives: A Practical Technology Guide, Dave Polka.
This book is easy to follow and an interesting source to resolve problems in the field.

Good luck!

SuperDaniel, thanks for the endorsement on Crandall, et al. I think it is one of the most important textbooks I have every found, and I have two copies that I guard very carefully!

Ogata's book on System Dynamics is generally pretty good, but I would urge caution in using it. Check what he says with care. A number of years ago, when I was teaching a course from this text, I found a dangerous error in this book. I don't recall exactly where it was, but it was in regard to the instantaneous change of flux linkage through an inductor, as I remember. It was an error caused by following the mathematics rather than the physics of the situation.

As to why these books are out of print, the answer is simple: they did not sell well. Publishers don't give a rip about the significance of a book; their concern is purely with the $$$. Crandall, et al. requires that a person be willing to work with the calculus of variations; they give an excellent intro to the topic, but you do have to plan to work at it. This frightens most folks away. White and Woodson is also a very important book, but it is not nearly as well written for a student as is the book by Crandall, et al. It did exceptionally poorly in the market and disappeared very quickly, even though it was unique in its day for the treatment of the material covered.

Thank you very much for your advice, OldEngr63
I didn't know anything about those details you mentioned on Ogata textbooks... I hope I can found a Crandall's book at a reasonable price.
Regards
Daniel

OldEngr63 said:
SuperDaniel, thanks for the endorsement on Crandall, et al. I think it is one of the most important textbooks I have every found, and I have two copies that I guard very carefully!

As to why these books are out of print, the answer is simple: they did not sell well. Publishers don't give a rip about the significance of a book; their concern is purely with the $$$. Crandall, et al. requires that a person be willing to work with the calculus of variations; they give an excellent intro to the topic, but you do have to plan to work at it. This frightens most folks away. White and Woodson is also a very important book, but it is not nearly as well written for a student as is the book by Crandall, et al. It did exceptionally poorly in the market and disappeared very quickly, even though it was unique in its day for the treatment of the material covered.

Hello OldEngr63: I am writing to you just to let you know that finally, after many... many... many emails, I could buy one new copy to an online bookseller... was a hard negotiation!

I will probably write back to you for assistance, if you can help me, of course.

Regards

SuperDaniel

Congratulations on your find, SuperDaniel. By all means, write if you need help. I think you will find it is a great book.

Thank you very much, OldEngr63.

What is a textbook for electromechanical design reference?

A textbook for electromechanical design reference is a comprehensive guide that covers the principles, theories, and techniques related to the design, analysis, and optimization of electromechanical systems. It serves as a valuable resource for engineers and students who work with electromechanical systems in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics.

What topics are typically covered in a textbook for electromechanical design reference?

A textbook for electromechanical design reference typically covers topics such as basic electrical and mechanical principles, electromechanical components and systems, sensors and actuators, control systems, and design methodologies. It may also include case studies and practical examples to illustrate the application of these concepts in real-world scenarios.

How can a textbook for electromechanical design reference benefit me as a scientist?

A textbook for electromechanical design reference can benefit you as a scientist by providing a solid foundation in electromechanical principles and techniques. It can also serve as a reference guide for your research and experiments, helping you to understand and analyze electromechanical systems more effectively. Additionally, it can help you to stay updated with the latest advancements and technologies in the field.

Are there any specific textbooks for electromechanical design reference that are recommended?

There are several textbooks for electromechanical design reference that are widely recommended by experts in the field. Some popular choices include "Electromechanical Systems, Electric Machines, and Applied Mechatronics" by John Hindmarsh and Alasdair Renfrew, "Electromechanical Energy Conversion: Principles, Theory, and Applications" by David W. Hart and John G. Kassakian, and "Electromechanical Motion Devices" by Paul C. Krause and Oleg Wasynczuk.

How can I use a textbook for electromechanical design reference effectively?

To use a textbook for electromechanical design reference effectively, it is recommended to read it in a structured manner, starting with the basics and gradually moving on to more advanced concepts. It is also helpful to take notes and work through the examples and exercises provided in the book. Additionally, you can use the textbook as a reference guide when working on projects or conducting research related to electromechanical systems.