1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Textbook for electormechanical design reference

1. Jan 15, 2015 #1
    I am working on a lot of things with electric motors, and many other electromechanical devices. Any text book comes to mind?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2015 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Here is an old one that I still think is outstanding:
    Dynamics of Mechanical and Electromechanical Systems by Crandall, Karnopp, Kurtz, and Pridmore-Brown.

It is unusual in that the whole book is built around Hamilton's Principle. This serves to unify the treatment of both mechanical and electromechanical systems into a highly understandable systems approach. I recommend it very strongly, but your really need to be ready to do some calculus of variations (explained in the book) to do it right.

Another similar, but much, much more difficult books is the electromechanical systems book by White and Woodson (I forget the exact title, published about 1958 roughly). It is a bear, but quite complete. Again, Hamilton's Principle and calculus of variations.

4. Mar 14, 2015 #3
    I totally agree with you, Oldengr63: Crandall's textbook is excellent. The only problem with that book is the fact that, as it is out of print, and, I understand there is a sort of scarcity, some sellers ask for a used book an arm and a leg.

The White and Woodson you mentioned is: Electromechanical Energy Conversion.

In addition to this, MagnetDude, you can download interesting material here:

http://www.rle.mit.edu/cehv/bookssolutionmanuals.htm

I do not understand why all these books are out of print... these are really useful and, some sellers are asking more than $200 for a 30 years old book.

Finally, let me add another interesting sources:

System Dynamics, Katsuhiko Ogata
    Modern Control Engineering, Katsuhiko Ogata

As well as a really practical book: Motors and Drives: A Practical Technology Guide, Dave Polka.
    This book is easy to follow and an interesting source to resolve problems in the field.

Good luck!!

5. Mar 14, 2015 #4

OldEngr63

Gold Member

SuperDaniel, thanks for the endorsement on Crandall, et al. I think it is one of the most important textbooks I have every found, and I have two copies that I guard very carefully!

Ogata's book on System Dynamics is generally pretty good, but I would urge caution in using it. Check what he says with care. A number of years ago, when I was teaching a course from this text, I found a dangerous error in this book. I don't recall exactly where it was, but it was in regard to the instantaneous change of flux linkage through an inductor, as I remember. It was an error caused by following the mathematics rather than the physics of the situation.

As to why these books are out of print, the answer is simple: they did not sell well. Publishers don't give a rip about the significance of a book; their concern is purely with the $$$. Crandall, et al. requires that a person be willing to work with the calculus of variations; they give an excellent intro to the topic, but you do have to plan to work at it. This frightens most folks away. White and Woodson is also a very important book, but it is not nearly as well written for a student as is the book by Crandall, et al. It did exceptionally poorly in the market and disappeared very quickly, even though it was unique in its day for the treatment of the material covered.

6. Mar 14, 2015 #5
    Thank you very much for your advice, OldEngr63
    I didn't know anything about those details you mentioned on Ogata textbooks... I hope I can found a Crandall's book at a reasonable price.
    Regards
    Daniel

7. Mar 30, 2015 #6
    Hello OldEngr63: I am writing to you just to let you know that finally, after many... many... many emails, I could buy one new copy to an online bookseller... was a hard negotiation!!!

I will probably write back to you for assistance, if you can help me, of course.

Regards

SuperDaniel

8. Mar 30, 2015 #7

OldEngr63

Gold Member

Congratulations on your find, SuperDaniel. By all means, write if you need help. I think you will find it is a great book.

9. Mar 31, 2015 #8
    Thank you very much, OldEngr63.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted