Textbook to Precede Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Sze)

• Thread starter fonz
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was recommended to read Physics of Semiconductor Devices by Sze which I was told was the standard textbook for the subject. My background is Electronic Engineering and not physics. After reading the first few pages of the first chapter I am completely overwelmed. I can't make sense of the discussion on crystal structures, lattice notation etc. It then goes on to talk about energy-momentum relationship and band gap by introducing the wavefunction.

I am using this text book for a module on VLSI design but I feel like this book is for physicists and not engineers. This clearly is not the right text book for me but there is nothing in the Preface or Introduction that suggests what should precede this. I would be interested to hear any suggestions

Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Thanks for the response. There are a lot of options to choose from and I'm going to have a look in more detail. It's disappointing that the so called standard text doesn't introduce the subject at a more fundemental level.

If you're looking to a super basic intro to solid state, Oxford solid state basics is the best undergrad-level intro text I've found. Kittel if you want more math. For semiconductor circuit design, I recommend "CMOS VLSI Design" by Weste and Harris.

Likes berkeman