Textbook for physics programming

In summary, the conversation is about finding a textbook that teaches how to write simple physics models for someone who is a computer science major. The person is specifically looking for a book in C++ and wants to learn the language while also practicing physics. They mention a book they found but are unsure if it is the right one, and ask if there are any other recommendations. Another person suggests looking for a book that focuses more on general algorithms rather than basic programming concepts, and mentions that the book the person linked to is half about basic C++. The person clarifies that they are looking for a book in C++ and mentions that someone recommended "Physics for Game Developers" but it doesn't teach C++.
Carnivroar
Can anyone recommend me a textbook that teaches you how to write simple physics models? I would like to take everything I learned this year in physics 1 and create a program for it since I'm also a comp sci major.

This is the best one I found so far but I'm not sure if it's exactly what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521827787/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Any others?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a programming language preference?

If you are also a computer science major and have experience programming, you may want to pick a book that skips basic programming concepts, and is more about general algorithms. For example, the book you linked to is nearly half about basic C++! That may be a waste of time if you have already had a basic programming course.

bcbwilla said:
Do you have a programming language preference?

If you are also a computer science major and have experience programming, you may want to pick a book that skips basic programming concepts, and is more about general algorithms. For example, the book you linked to is nearly half about basic C++! That may be a waste of time if you have already had a basic programming course.

Oops, I thought I had mentioned it - I'm looking for books in C++ specifically. I want to learn C++ while practicing physics - 2 birds 1 stone o:). I know nothing of C++, only Java and Python. So if what you say is true (that half of the book is a tutorial on C++), that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. Do you have the book?

Someone recommended me Physics for Game Developers. It looks pretty good too, just what I wanted (basic graphic mechanics), but apparently it doesn't actually teach C++.

1. What is a "Textbook for physics programming"?

A "Textbook for physics programming" is a comprehensive guide that teaches the principles and techniques of programming for physics simulations and games. It covers topics such as Newtonian mechanics, collision detection, and rigid body dynamics, and provides hands-on examples and exercises for readers to practice and apply their knowledge.

2. Who is the target audience for a "Textbook for physics programming"?

The target audience for a "Textbook for physics programming" is typically students and professionals in the fields of computer science, engineering, or physics, who are interested in learning how to program physics simulations and games. It can also be beneficial for game developers and programmers who want to improve their understanding of physics-based game development.

3. What makes a "Textbook for physics programming" different from a regular programming textbook?

A "Textbook for physics programming" is specifically focused on teaching programming techniques for physics simulations and games, while a regular programming textbook may cover a broader range of topics. It also provides real-world examples and exercises that are tailored to the field of physics, making it more relevant and applicable to readers interested in this specific area of programming.

4. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge of physics to understand a "Textbook for physics programming"?

While a basic understanding of physics concepts can be helpful, it is not necessary to have extensive knowledge of physics to understand a "Textbook for physics programming". The textbook is designed to gradually introduce readers to the necessary physics principles, and all concepts are explained in an accessible and easy-to-understand manner.

5. Can a "Textbook for physics programming" be used for self-study or is it better suited for classroom use?

A "Textbook for physics programming" can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It is written in a clear and organized manner, making it suitable for self-study, but can also be used as a textbook for a course on physics programming. It includes exercises and examples that can be used for self-assessment or as assignments for students in a classroom setting.