Textbook Suggestion: Electromagnetism

In summary, the conversation includes recommendations for textbooks on electromagnetism at different levels, including "Berkeley Physics Volume 2" by Purcell for advanced beginners, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths for undergraduate level, "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson for graduate level, and "Principles of Electrodynamics" by Schwartz for a physicist's viewpoint. However, some suggest that these texts may not be suitable for electrical engineering students and recommend "Electromagnetism" by Grant and Phillips or "Landau/Lifshitz" for a more advanced approach.
dimpledur
Hello all,
I'm looking for some suggestions for textbooks regarding electromagnetism. I want something that goes in depth and really provides the concepts required to actually understand electricity and magnetism. Any Electrical Courses that I am taking are all circuit analysis...
Regards, D.Can someone perhaps move this thread to Classical Physics. I just realized I would most likely get more replies regarding electrodynamics in that forum.
Regards, D

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dimpledur said:
Hello all,
I'm looking for some suggestions for textbooks regarding electromagnetism. I want something that goes in depth and really provides the concepts required to actually understand electricity and magnetism. Any Electrical Courses that I am taking are all circuit analysis...
Regards, D.Can someone perhaps move this thread to Classical Physics. I just realized I would most likely get more replies regarding electrodynamics in that forum.
Regards, D

You might get even more in the Science Book Discussion forum.

Anyway, the text most often recommended for advanced beginners in EM is Berkeley Physics Volume 2, by Purcell. If that is too advanced for you, then your best bet is probably the EM chapters of any popular calculus-based freshman physics textbook (Serway, Young, Giancoli, Halliday, etc.)

If Purcell is not advanced enough, the next step up (junior/senior level) is "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by Griffiths, and the next level after that (graduate level) is "Classical Electrodynamics" by Jackson.

Last edited:
i'm studying 2nd year level electromagnetism and i have the book 'Electromagnetism' by Grant and Phillips second edition. It seems quite good so far, it goes into a lot of detail of vector calculus and the underlying principles of electric fields, capacitance etc. It's not really that good for circuit analysis though I'm afraid

A very good text on em. is also the textbook by J. Schwinger. One of my favorites for classical field theory is Landau/Lifgarbages vol. II which is consistently written in a relativistic context as it should be for electromagnetism. For macroscopic electrodynamics, some chapters in vol. VIII should also be considered.

Schwartz, Principles of Electrodynamics. A physicist's viewpoint.

Also, though he wasn't satisfied with the presentation himself, the E&M material in Feynman Lectures vol. 2 is great reading (some topics in E&M radiation are covered in vol. 1).

Electricity and Magnetism: Probably the best book out there at the undergraduate level is “Introduction to Electrodynamics” 3rd ed. by David J. Griffiths. It “thinks” like a physicist, and I keep my 1st ed. as a reference. At the graduate school level comes one year of “Classical Electrodynamics” 3rd ed. by John David Jackson, Wiley, 1998. I had 2nd ed., and the first edition dates back to 1962.

I review texts/literature/key physics ideas/key math tools at the forum link:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=540829

Cheers,

Alex A.

All wonderful suggestions but from what it sounds like, the OP is an electrical engineering student. Jackson would not be appropriate without a solid math background and not incredibly helpful for engineering purposes. Likewise Schwartz; it's elegant but decidedly for a physicist or ridiculously interested engineer.

Feynman lectures are excellent for concepts and discussion, Griffiths for problems and problem-solving. From a quick look at your past posts, I'd say a lot of the problems you've been posting about are covered almost entirely in Griffiths. Good luck!

1. What is the purpose of this textbook on Electromagnetism?

The purpose of this textbook is to provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the principles and applications of electromagnetism. It covers topics such as electric and magnetic fields, electromagnetic waves, and their interactions with matter.

2. Who is the target audience for this textbook?

This textbook is primarily aimed at undergraduate and graduate students studying physics, engineering, or any other related field that requires a strong understanding of electromagnetism. It can also be useful for researchers and professionals in these fields.

3. What sets this textbook apart from others on the same subject?

This textbook offers a unique approach to teaching electromagnetism by combining theoretical concepts with practical applications. It also includes interactive examples and simulations to enhance the learning experience.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this textbook?

A basic understanding of calculus, vector algebra, and basic physics principles is recommended before using this textbook. Some prior knowledge of electricity and magnetism would also be beneficial.

5. How can this textbook be used in a classroom setting?

This textbook can be used as a primary resource for a course on electromagnetism. It provides a clear and structured presentation of concepts, along with exercises and problems for students to practice and apply their knowledge. It can also be used as a supplement to lectures and other course materials.