Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The 9.0 Quake: A personal observation

1. Jan 18, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just wanted to pass along an observation that may or may not mean anything at all. In case this should happen to make sense to anyone out there I wanted to mention it; just in case... From about Dec 15th through this week, there have been a rash of meteor-like impact events reported all over the world. I posted a few typical news links in the UFO News Thread in the S&D forum. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=432772#post432772

Over twenty years of close scrutiny of reports of unusual atmospheric phenomena, I have never seen anything like it. It's probably just a coincidence but obviously I have no way to know. I couldn't help but wonder if these are really just rocks, and not meteors.

There was also a recent sounding of the Seneca Guns; also somewhat rare.
    From an extinct link:
    The latest report:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=57966&highlight=Seneca

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, Ivan - the post you referenced is all over the place: several are legitimate (and several probable) meteors, one was an accidental sonic boom, one was Sirius (what was the point of that?), one was likely connected to a meteor shower. None are related to each other, none are particularly interesting (except maybe the "Seneca Guns" thing), and only one has anything to do with Indonesia, though that certainly doesn't imply any connection to the earthquake.

What are you saying?

4. Jan 18, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm saying that a swarm of unusual reports accompanied the quake; approximately. Like I said, this was only a sample of the the reports from the last month. Whether or not they are, or even could be related, is a point of speculation. They are probably not related. However, just in case this makes sense to someone, like a geologist for example, I wanted to mention it.

I realize that this hints at wild speculation but it was only an observation. One never knows when two seemingly unrelated events might in fact be related. Take for example reports of earthquake lights, which are now seen as possible predictors for large events.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=416970&highlight=earthlights#post416970

Last edited: Jan 19, 2005
  5. Jan 19, 2005 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

edits and comments added.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?