1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    The acceleration of a particle on a horizontal xy plane is given by a=3ti + 4tj, where a is in meters per second-squared and t is in sec. At t=0, the particle has the position vector r=(20.0m)i + (40.0m)j and the velocity vector
    v=(5.00m/s)i +(2.00m/s)j. At t=4.00 s, what are its position vector in unit-vector notation and the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis?

I have no idea what to do at all:surprised https://www.physicsforums.com/images/smilies/surprised.gif
    :surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2
    Find the general equations for position and velocity by integration and use the initial conditions.

"the angle between its direction of travel and the positive direction of the x axis"

For that you can apply the dot product.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    so would i integrate a to find position and then velocity?

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    You integrate accelation to find velovity, and then integrate velocity (after plugging in the initial condition) to find position.

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5
    alright so i got:

dx = 1.5t^2 + vcos0t + 20
    dy = 2t^2 + vsin0t + 40

where the 0 is theta

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    Bringing in new variables (such as theta) without any need will just make the answer more complicated.

Here's an example on how to go about the problem:

[tex]\frac{dv_x}{dt} = 3t[/tex]

[tex]v_x = \frac{3}{2}t^2 + C[/tex] (C is the constant of integration)

Now put in the initial condition, the value for v_x when t = 0 and find the value for C. Similaraly find v_y. The process is the same for finding position.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  8. Oct 11, 2006 #7

radou

Homework Helper

You can be a bit more formal and use [tex]\vec{v}(t) = \int \vec{a}(t)dt + \vec{v}_{0}[/tex], i.e. [tex]\vec{r}(t) = \int \vec{v}(t)dt + \vec{r}_{0}[/tex], but basically that's the same thing Neutrino wrote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?