The Alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the representation of the dirac delta function using the limit of sin(x)/x as epsilon approaches 0. The conversation also mentions the condition that must be satisfied by this representation and the use of integration by parts. The possibility of using complex analysis and the residue theorem is also brought up.
WilcoRogers
Hello,

I am trying to show that:
[itex]\delta(x) = \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{\sin(\frac{x}{\epsilon})}{\pi x}[/itex]
Is a viable representation of the dirac delta function. More specifically, it has to satisfy:
[itex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \delta(x) f(x) dx = f(0)
[/itex]

I know that the integral of sin(x)/x over the reals is [itex]\pi[/itex], and so far as I can tell, it doesn't depend on epsilon. What I've tried so far is integration by parts, which leads me to:
[itex]
f(x) - \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f'(x) dx
[/itex]

Which isn't really getting me somewhere, and the limit drops off due to the integral not caring what epsilon is. Is there another way of approaching this? Or am I on the right track, I just can't pull out an f(0) from this.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try substituting z = x/epsilon.

Are you familiar with complex analysis and the residue theorem?

1. What is the alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function?

The alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function is a mathematical function that is commonly used in signal processing, Fourier analysis, and other areas of mathematics. It is also known as the impulse function or the unit impulse function.

2. How is the alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function defined?

The alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it has an infinite value. It is represented by the symbol δ(t) or δ(x).

3. What is the purpose of using the alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function?

The alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function is often used to represent an idealized point source or impulse in a mathematical model. It is also used to simplify equations and make calculations easier in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

4. How is the alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function related to the original form?

The alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function is mathematically equivalent to the original form, which is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at a single point, where it is undefined. Both forms are used interchangeably and have the same properties and applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using the alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function?

One limitation of using the alternate form of the Dirac Delta Function is that it is not a true function in the traditional sense, as it is not defined at the point where it has an infinite value. This can make it difficult to use in some mathematical operations and may require special techniques for handling. Additionally, the alternate form may not always accurately represent a physical system and should be used with caution in practical applications.