The Angular Velocity in Belt Drives

In summary: Exterior torques: Tx = Te + (Ty + Tz) where:Tx = torque applied to the x-axisTe = torque applied to the exterior pulleyTy = torque applied to the tight side of the beltTz = torque applied to the loose side of the belt
daigiaga1994
Consider the belt drives, the driven pulley: diameter d1, angular velocity w1 and the follow pulley: diameter d2, angular velocity w2.

Assuming that the driven pulley rotate with a constant angular velocity and the belt does not slip on the pulleys, we have w1/w2=d2/d1, so w2 is constant( because w1 is constant).
But I think that the follow pulley will have a torque which is caused by the tensions in the tight and loose sides of the belt. Because of this torque, the follow pulley can't rotate with a constant angular velocity. This is opposite to the above statement ( w2 is constant).
Please explain this misunderstanding for me, thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have torque (and a tight and loose side) only if the following pulley has friction, and this torque will exactly cancel the frictional torque.

mfb said:
You have torque (and a tight and loose side) only if the following pulley has friction, and this torque will exactly cancel the frictional torque.
But I think, the effect of the belt on the following pulley are the friction forces ( tangent to the pulley) and the press forces ( normal to the pulley). So only friction forces can create the torque on the pulley. That is my thought.

How is that in conflict with my previous post?
If the whole setup is frictionless, both sides will have the same tension. If there is friction, making the pulley slower than the belt or "trying" to slow down the pulley, then you get an accelerating torque from the belt and a braking torque from friction (probably close to the axle).

mfb said:
How is that in conflict with my previous post?
If the whole setup is frictionless, both sides will have the same tension. If there is friction, making the pulley slower than the belt or "trying" to slow down the pulley, then you get an accelerating torque from the belt and a braking torque from friction (probably close to the axle).
yeah, but I wonder that Why the following pulley can rotate with a constant velocity with a torque( due to friction exerted by the belt) ? ( In this case, assuming that the friction between shaft and pulley is negligible ).
Thank you.

daigiaga1994 said:
( In this case, assuming that the friction between shaft and pulley is negligible ).
If that is true, friction from the belt is negligible as well.

Hi.Daigiaga, sorry but you are forgotten the exterior torques over the two pullies which equals the torques of the belt

What is angular velocity in belt drives?

Angular velocity in belt drives refers to the rotational speed of a belt as it moves around a pulley. It is measured in radians per second.

Why is angular velocity important in belt drives?

Angular velocity is important in belt drives because it determines the speed and power transmitted by the belt between two pulleys. It also affects the tension and stress placed on the belt and pulleys.

How is angular velocity calculated in belt drives?

Angular velocity in belt drives can be calculated by dividing the linear velocity of the belt by the radius of the pulley it is rotating around. This can also be expressed as the product of the number of revolutions per minute (RPM) and 2π.

What factors can affect angular velocity in belt drives?

The factors that can affect angular velocity in belt drives include the size and speed of the pulleys, the length and tension of the belt, and the coefficient of friction between the belt and the pulley.

How can angular velocity be adjusted in belt drives?

Angular velocity in belt drives can be adjusted by changing the size and speed of the pulleys, altering the belt tension, or using different types of belts with varying coefficients of friction. Additionally, using gear systems or variable-speed drives can also affect the angular velocity in belt drives.