The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
No. I wore boot cut jeans with my red and white scuderia ferrari trainers and my Rossi top covered with a 16 quid suit jacket from Asda. I thought it was lovely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kurdt said:
No. I wore boot cut jeans with my red and white scuderia ferrari trainers and my Rossi top covered with a 16 quid suit jacket from Asda. I thought it was lovely.
I have absolutely no idea what you just said. :bugeye:

I take it this was a motorcycle outfit?

offtheleft, very nice suit you have. The first pic looks like a clubbin' photo that you would see in a magazine.

As for people wearing tight clothes...only do so if it properly fits, like moonbear said, we don't want muffin tops everywhere. I see more females doing this than males, but nice fitted clothes is a good thing. Plus, it helps if the person looks good anyhow to begin with...

Kurdt said:

Kurdt, you need to post a pic, it sounds like a good combo, and I'm sure you must have get the job every time, too.

mcknia07 said:
offtheleft, very nice suit you have. The first pic looks like a clubbin' photo that you would see in a magazine.

I agree. I like that suit. I don't think the shirt is too dark. I also don't think it was a bad mix of patterns...I suspect that was just the camera/flash playing tricks. You can mix patterns, you just have to be careful to mix the right patterns (something I admit I'm not good at either...but I've seen it done and can look FABulous). I really like that shade of blue too. You can play it safe with a white shirt, but why play it safe if you're going out to PAR-TAY! Save the "safe" outfit for interviews with stuffy Fortune 500 companies. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
offtheleft, you had a slight Pete Wentz look going on in that picture too. I just thought of that.

I have a horrible time buying jeans. Besides the fact that 32 and 34 inch waist/length are difficult enough to find as it is, if I buy normal jeans they feel too tight (I have thicker legs) but the loose fit look horribly baggy. I think a 33/33 would fit best but good luck finding that.

JasonRox said:
Well, why did you buy baggy pants?

Stay away from typical American stores. I worked at a clothing store, and it was known in our store that American = Fat Clothes.

If that can be fixed, I doubt it.

Also, avoid pleats! There are horrid... and made for... again fat people.

For some reason it is the new trend in american clothes that everything be baggy. I already have a strangely proportioned frame that makes it difficult to find pants that fit right but now every single pair I find that looks decent are baggy as hell. I bought 'work' pants, dickies, and even they[i/] were baggy! It's crazy. I'm not a thin person, a bit chubby actually and tall with wide shoulders and hips, but these pants are way too baggy even on me. It has nothing to do with americans being fat.

And pleats work for some people. I mentioned before my strangely proportioned frame. If I wear pants that fit properly but have no pleats or are not specifically tailored to fit me I look ridiculous. My ex wanted me to buy new clothes to go with her to a wedding and she bitched and moaned about everything I looked at so I bought what ever she told me to, including pants without pleats, and punished her by wearing it to the wedding with her even though I looked like absolute crap. That was the last time she tried to tell me how to dress.

I would love to take a guy out shopping. I mean, like homestly, how much fun would that be. To pick out more clothes that aren't even for me and to make someone else look good. Not saying that I look good, but I think I know how to dress a man.

mcknia07 said:
I would love to take a guy out shopping. I mean, like homestly, how much fun would that be. To pick out more clothes that aren't even for me and to make someone else look good. Not saying that I look good, but I think I know how to dress a man.

You can take me out shopping so long as you buy it for me. Were going to start at Hugo Boss, and work our way down.

mcknia07 said:

As for people wearing tight clothes...only do so if it properly fits, like moonbear said, we don't want muffin tops everywhere. I see more females doing this than males, but nice fitted clothes is a good thing. Plus, it helps if the person looks good anyhow to begin with...

LOL...I've never seen any guy with a muffin top due to tight jeans in my life.

Alrighty, sounds ok to me, but I get to pick out everything then, and you can't say no to me. I've never been to Hugo Boss before, so it might take hours upon hours :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Alrighty, sounds ok to me, but I get to pick out everything then, and you can't say no to me. I've never been to Hugo Boss before, so it might take hours upon hours :biggrin:

I hope you poo-poo money. I don't think you could spend hours there, they don't sell that many things. It's a very small selection, and an extraordinarily high price.

Cyrus said:
LOL...I've never seen any guy with a muffin top due to tight jeans in my life.

Ummm, yeah I have, not that I wanted to. It's sick! People can get new clothes, they really aren't that much.

Cyrus said:
I hope you poo-poo money.

Oh great, how expensive are we talking here?

mcknia07 said:
Oh great, how expensive are we talking here?

You don't want to know.....shirts are going to be $175 and up.

mcknia07 said:
Ummm, yeah I have, not that I wanted to. It's sick! People can get new clothes, they really aren't that much.

That's quite nasty...

Cyrus said:
You don't want to know.....shirts are going to be $175 and up.

Holy crap boy, you sure know how to pick the most expensive items now don't you?!

mcknia07 said:
Holy crap boy, you sure know how to pick the most expensive items now don't you?!

You said you were going to pay for it!

Seriously though, they have very very nice stuff in terms of design. But the price is literally for people that have lots *lots* of money to drop. The jackets (normal everyday type, not dress suit jackets) there are going to run $600+, ties are $100+, shoes are $160+ (sneakers!)...it's the top end you can buy.

But lots of companies like Ralph Lauren are also damn expensive (button shirts $200+). Not the stuff at department stores, but the real deal Ralph Lauren Boutique.

Neiman Marcus is also shi* expensive. They have dress shoes that run over a grand.

Cyrus said:
I hope you poo-poo money. I don't think you could spend hours there, they don't sell that many things. It's a very small selection, and an extraordinarily high price.

I can spend hours in small stores :biggrin: You have no idea. I have spent 8 hours in a tiny store and still wasn't done. I didn't want to leave.

Did you say SHOES? Oh no, bad word for me to hear, I might get into lots of trouble now...

There is a difference between tight fitting and form fitting. I know that if I wore a suit like this:
20900871_l-1.jpg

I would probably rip the entire back of the coat in half if I crossed my arms. I would also probably split the seat of pants that tight if I ever crouched down to pick something up. Get something that fits to your form.I haven't seen a suit posted yet that I liked. Not saying I would ever buy one unless I made tons of lucre, but Hickey Freeman makes good suits that don't look ridiculous

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/website/assets/product_images/hickeyfreeman/085303514_md.jpg

http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/website/assets/product_images/hickeyfreeman/085303040_md.jpg

gravenewworld said:
There is a difference between tight fitting and form fitting. I know that if I wore a suit like this:

20900871_l-1.jpg

I would probably rip the entire back of the coat in half if I crossed my arms. I would also probably split the seat of pants that tight if I ever crouched down to pick something up. Get something that fits to your form.

Personally, I don't like that suit. It's way too slim cut. It's not something you'd ever wear in a professional setting. It's way too trendy. So you could only wear it to a club, and would spend loads of money on it. It's useless rags IMO.

Edit: Those new suits you posted are nice.

Last edited:
I have this suit, but solid black

http://content.nordstrom.com/ImageGallery/store/product/Gigantic/15/_5463875.jpg

Cyrus said:
I have this suit, but solid black

See something like that is good. Classic and modern look to it. That is something most guys could wear. There are only a few people that can pull off the super trendy look and look good doing it.

I think that's the key difference. There is a vital distinction between *modern, and *trendy.

Trendy looks bad pretty quick as it shifts often. But modern is a slight variation on something traditional without going too far outside the norm. I generally avoid buying anything trendy unless its specifically for going out to a place like the bar.

I talked to the guy where I bought my suit. It was interesting he was telling me the most expensive suits have very light soft fabric, but you don't want to wear those every day or they will tear or fall apart quickly. They are only for special occasions. For everyday, you want something that's tougher, which are the cheaper end suits. (Cheaper is a relative term here).

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
And pleats work for some people.

I agree. I don't know where Jason gets the idea that pleats are for fat people. I think it's usually fat people who need to avoid them...if the pleats are stretched, it makes someone look even fatter.

I took one ex-boyfriend shopping (he wore the same size pants as SticksandStone, so I definitely can appreciate how tough it is to find that size in menswear...unless it's such a popular size that they sell out first), and not being sure what styles would look good on him (he didn't know either, which is why I was shopping with him) he headed off to the dressing room with a mix of pleated and unpleated pants. First he came out with the unpleated ones, and I almost died laughing. I couldn't decide if I should hand him a pocket protector or get him fitted for dentures. They looked like some horrible cross between nerd and old man pants (or maybe it's that the classic nerd look is to wear old man pants). Then he tried the pleated ones, and what a difference! Hubba hubba!

It was hard finding non-baggy pants too, though. That had nothing to do with the pleats, and in such slender sizes, had nothing to do with them being made for fat people. I used to think it was easier for men to shop than women, but with the trends in the stores, it's not very easy for men to shop either, especially if they just need a mature, classic look (without looking like an old fart). There were some slender designs too, but they went to the other extreme. After he tried those on, I was informed they must have been designed for castrati, or maybe pre-pubertal boys. :rofl:

I don't have to go shopping with the current boyfriend. His taste is impeccable! Of course, he gets all his clothes custom made and spends a small fortune on them, but they look fantastic! Though, most still cost less than those trashy looking designer clothing. Just one really made my jaw drop when I found out how much it cost (apparently I have expensive taste too, because it is my absolute favorite shirt of his)...that's because the fabric was expensive, not the tailoring.

I don't know about fashion, some trends are better to be avoided.. like the shapeless clothes that are all over the stores right now, it is impossible to find something shape-fitting. I'm a little intrigued by the talk of tailoring, what would be the most common things that you would get fixed by a tailor and what fabrics would best be suited for refitting?

Monique said:
I don't know about fashion, some trends are better to be avoided.. like the shapeless clothes that are all over the stores right now, it is impossible to find something shape-fitting. I'm a little intrigued by the talk of tailoring, what would be the most common things that you would get fixed by a tailor and what fabrics would best be suited for refitting?

There are obvious things that most people would think about, like adjusting the length of pants or sleeves (I'm short, so all my pants need to be hemmed. Out of necessity, I learned to hem pants myself so I don't have to run to a tailor with every pair of pants I buy, but I don't know how to do sleeves to come out looking right). With dress shirts or blouses, they can take in the side seams fairly easily to make it more form-fitting (for women, this is sometimes a regular necessity if they have a larger chest and have to buy a size up to keep their blouses from gaping open in the front). Another common alteration, especially for women, is to take in the waist a bit. With those shapeless clothes that have no curves, if you have curves, often you have to get pants or skirts that are too big in the waist in order to fit right around the hips, so a tailor can take in the waist to make it fit right and show off those curves.

Of course a good tailor or seamstress can take apart an entire garment and custom fit every part and put it back together, but if it needs that much work, it's better to just not buy it. I've had to deal with this when friends have chosen horrendous bridesmaid dresses that didn't fit me in any dimension...let out the hips, take in the waist, shorten the bodice, take in the shoulders (or shoulder straps), add a built-in bra to the backless ones, raise the hem on all the ugly, poofy layers, etc.

It's easier to take in clothes than let them out, so if you're thinking about tailoring, it's better to buy something that is bigger in some places than one that's tight in some places. How much can be let out depends a lot on how much extra fabric is in the seams. I think with things like bridesmaid dresses, they know there are going to be major alterations, so leave extra fabric in seams, but for most store-bought clothing, there are very minimal seam allowances.

Moonbear said:
It takes a confident man to wear red shoes. :biggrin:

Kurdt is all man, never forget it. ALL MAN

Moonbear said:
I agree. I don't know where Jason gets the idea that pleats are for fat people. I think it's usually fat people who need to avoid them...if the pleats are stretched, it makes someone look even fatter.

I took one ex-boyfriend shopping (he wore the same size pants as SticksandStone, so I definitely can appreciate how tough it is to find that size in menswear...unless it's such a popular size that they sell out first), and not being sure what styles would look good on him (he didn't know either, which is why I was shopping with him) he headed off to the dressing room with a mix of pleated and unpleated pants. First he came out with the unpleated ones, and I almost died laughing. I couldn't decide if I should hand him a pocket protector or get him fitted for dentures. They looked like some horrible cross between nerd and old man pants (or maybe it's that the classic nerd look is to wear old man pants). Then he tried the pleated ones, and what a difference! Hubba hubba!

It was hard finding non-baggy pants too, though. That had nothing to do with the pleats, and in such slender sizes, had nothing to do with them being made for fat people. I used to think it was easier for men to shop than women, but with the trends in the stores, it's not very easy for men to shop either, especially if they just need a mature, classic look (without looking like an old fart). There were some slender designs too, but they went to the other extreme. After he tried those on, I was informed they must have been designed for castrati, or maybe pre-pubertal boys. :rofl:

I don't have to go shopping with the current boyfriend. His taste is impeccable! Of course, he gets all his clothes custom made and spends a small fortune on them, but they look fantastic! Though, most still cost less than those trashy looking designer clothing. Just one really made my jaw drop when I found out how much it cost (apparently I have expensive taste too, because it is my absolute favorite shirt of his)...that's because the fabric was expensive, not the tailoring.

Pleats are fine, but I find they tend to have that old 1920s-1930s look. Again, there's nothing wrong with that; but, they tend to come off more 'dressy' and I wouldn't wear pleated pants without a belt, nice shoes and a nice shirt.

I perfer non-pleated pants and no cuffs on the bottom. You can wear them without a belt and it looks fine. Pleated pants are pretty much signature dockers.

But as you said, if it looks good on you wear it.