The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
physics girl phd said:
This scares me.

I used to always wear a newsboy hat in undergrad (before Britney Spears, etc. made them popular)... and i had my pencils (about 10 of them) stuck up in my hat for storage. One day the physics guys pulled my hat off for two reasons.. to check if my hair was clean (it was!) an to count the pencils. I even had people say I should sell the hats (since I made them in series as I lost them, out of corduroy scavenged from thrift stores).

By grad school, I was taking chucks of hair and wraping them into little curls all over my head, or doing high-up, mickey-mouse-ear-style princess-leia buns (these were both also a good place for pencils).

Now that I'm "grown-up", I just do a severe a-line cut with short-cropped bangs (like Uma Thurman in pulp fiction). I've even had students say I look like her.

My message: your look can change (and I like the idea of a signature look -- even the hat with wings!)... but I'd be scared of the greasy hair!

Well, things can change in a week. It all depends on how it comes out. I might buy a product that gives me the "look" or something.

All I know, girls don't seem to care too much. Lots of people used to say my hair before looked dumb, but it didn't stop me from getting girls. Probably because I looked like a hockey player, but I guess greasy hair is just the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jason, go out and buy some pomade...

Have to attend a dinner event tonight, snapped a quick pic of the suit:

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/1108/pict0338fw1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyrus said:

[/URL]

get a skinnier tie and a pocket square and it would be the epitome of GQ.

JasonRox said:
Then I'll let it grease up and that will be my new trademark. :smile:

Are we still talking about short skirts?

is it just me or is seeing a little bit of white around the wrist where your shirt pokes out a cool look? I like it

Cyrus said:

[/URL]

Try the Windsor knot. Looks way better.

tribdog said:
is it just me or is seeing a little bit of white around the wrist where your shirt pokes out a cool look? I like it

its supposed to be like that.

Dior Homme:
20900871_l-1.jpg

Hugo Boss:
http://www.gearpatrol.com/images/hugoboss_einstein.jpg

Armani:
http://www.lifeinitaly.com/fashion/img/Armani%20suit%201.jpg

hell, i wish i could afford all of these.

yes, the shirt should be visible around the wrists. apparently it looks cool, i agree.

It's suppose to be a quarter inch at the wrists and half an inch behind the neck.

It is critical to get a shirt not only the right size, but the right arm length and neck circumference. Even if you spend $1000 a shirt, it would look like garbage if it's not the right size.

Of course the size of the jacket is even more critical.

Is it possible to spend $1000 on a shirt? and if it is how can it be better than a $50 dollar shirt.

JasonRox said:
It's suppose to be a quarter inch at the wrists and half an inch behind the neck.

It is critical to get a shirt not only the right size, but the right arm length and neck circumference. Even if you spend $1000 a shirt, it would look like garbage if it's not the right size.

Of course the size of the jacket is even more critical.

Ugh, jackets. The darned shoulders are never wide enough for me.

tribdog said:
Is it possible to spend $1000 on a shirt? and if it is how can it be better than a $50 dollar shirt.

im sure you can spend 2000 on a shirt if you looked hard enough for it. someone explained the differences in shirts earlier... a cheap shirt won't look as good. simple as that. they billow out and are generally too big. a more expensive shirt, designer what ever youd like to call it. most of which are more slim. cut thinner and even custom shirts. like meat, cut to order. to your specifications. the prices go up, you digg? the old saying goes "you get what you pay for."

offtheleft said:
im sure you can spend 2000 on a shirt if you looked hard enough for it. someone explained the differences in shirts earlier... a cheap shirt won't look as good. simple as that. they billow out and are generally too big. a more expensive shirt, designer what ever youd like to call it. most of which are more slim. cut thinner and even custom shirts. like meat, cut to order. to your specifications. the prices go up, you digg? the old saying goes "you get what you pay for."

If you buy a $1000 shirt that doesn't fit, no matter which designer, it will look like garbage.

JasonRox said:
If you buy a $1000 shirt that doesn't fit, no matter which designer, it will look like garbage.

thats a given but, not the point that I am making. of course you get clothes that fit, which is why i mentioned custom clothing.

Does Cyrus' suit fit? *runs and hides*

doesn't fit me.

Cyrus said:
Did you pay attention at all in this thread about what the guys have posted? Clearly, not. :rolleyes:

Yes, I paid attention, but I seem to realize that guys have a better chance at getting the right size, than a woman, in my experience.

Monique said:
Now wouldn't it be nice if in the future you just get yourself scanned, so that you get custom-made factory items at little extra cost? I can see that happening.

That woudl be awesome. It's all up to you Monique to make it :biggrin:

Kurdt said:
Does Cyrus' suit fit? *runs and hides*

I think it looks like it fits, though the white cuffs need to show more and be even, but for a quick pic, very nice.

JasonRox said:

Okay, even my boyfriend's most expensive custom-made shirt didn't cost close to THAT much. :bugeye: The custom shirts USUALLY are about $150 for ones made with good quality but basic shirt material (i.e., nothing fancy, solid colors or basic patterns like stripes). So, if you're going to spend that much on a shirt, why even bother getting it off-the-rack when you could get something perfectly custom-made to your specifications? The one that I consider crazy expensive, even by his standards, cost considerably more, but was also a really unique fabric that's not your basic shirt material. Nobody you see is going to have a shirt like that. I can't really even describe the fabric, it just has some really neat properties depending on how the light hits it and the pattern on it, and is heavier weight than normal shirt fabric. He ALWAYS gets compliments when he wears it, especially from women.

I don't give much consideration to labels. I've seen plenty of ill-fitting, ugly, poorly-made clothing with designer labels stuck on them. In most stores, the only difference I see between the designer branded clothing and everything else is the price.

JasonRox said:
Incorrect, short skirts look good all the time and on all frames.
Definitely NOT! :yuck:

Cyrus said:

[/URL]

Is it just me seeing things, or are you standing on your cuffs? How high of heels do your shoes have?

I agree with Jason, go with a different knot on the tie. The one you used is for little boys...too small.

mcknia07 said:
Yes, I paid attention, but I seem to realize that guys have a better chance at getting the right size, than a woman, in my experience.
Women have more variance in body shape from person to person. Breast size and the width of the hips alone make for serious differences in size and cut of the clothes that you want. That would be the problem with standardized sizing. A woman may wear a size 4 but still have a triple D, or larger, bust creating serious size choice issues. All of the women I have known with exceptionally large breasts had a hard time with all of their tops, not just bras, and often resorted to just buying and wearing oversized sweaters.

Moonbear said:

Is it just me seeing things, or are you standing on your cuffs? How high of heels do your shoes have?

I agree with Jason, go with a different knot on the tie. The one you used is for little boys...too small.

They are making mens shoes with much higher heels now. I have the same problem though of pant cuffs hitting the floor.

Personally I would have gone with a narrower tie. Of course I prefer solid colours for ties and a striped tie would probably look silly if it were too narrow. I have seen all of one tie with a pattern on it that I liked and I bought it. It's a dark red with subtle pattern of baroque stitchwork.

Moonbear said:

No, the pants don't have any cuffs and I'm not wearing any shoes on. (The pants are the perfect length, trust me).

The knot is full windsor, it got shifted under the collar which covered it partially.

I didn't wear a narrow tie because this was not a party, it was a conservative function.

you don't have shoes on? Do you have artificial legs or are your toes all the same length? Maybe your socks are leather?

tribdog said:
you don't have shoes on? Do you have artificial legs or are your toes all the same length? Maybe your socks are leather?

nope, they were just black socks.

Cyrus said:
No, the pants don't have any cuffs and I'm not wearing any shoes on. (The pants are the perfect length, trust me).

I just call the bottom of any pant cuffs, not just the ones that are folded up. I know you didn't have shoes on, but it looked like the pants were so long, it was hard to imagine a typical men's shoe with a big enough heel to make that much difference. But, maybe it's just a shadow creating that illusion.

wow, freaky foot cyrus. you don't mind if I call you freaky foot do you? Freaky, FF, freaky deaky feety. I'm sorry, I don't know where I'm going with this.

Moonbear said:
I just call the bottom of any pant cuffs, not just the ones that are folded up. I know you didn't have shoes on, but it looked like the pants were so long, it was hard to imagine a typical men's shoe with a big enough heel to make that much difference. But, maybe it's just a shadow creating that illusion.

Mens shoes are a good half inch above the ground due to the heel.

tribdog said:
wow, freaky foot cyrus. you don't mind if I call you freaky foot do you? Freaky, FF, freaky deaky feety. I'm sorry, I don't know where I'm going with this.

Hahahah, its just the way the picture came out. My toes are not all the same length.

ah, you look good. I'm just playing around. and moonbear it's pretty amazing how putting on a pair of shoes makes a huge difference in making pants look better. I always think my pants are way too long then I put on my shoes and they turn out to be perfect.

tribdog said:
ah, you look good. I'm just playing around. and moonbear it's pretty amazing how putting on a pair of shoes makes a huge difference in making pants look better. I always think my pants are way too long then I put on my shoes and they turn out to be perfect.

Wait until you zip up the fly!

What's that have to do with anything? I don't get it...

okay I am lookin for some help :)

first ill start with hair. i need to get it cut! the long hair just isn't working anymore and its becoming annoying. what types of hair styles are quite easy to do and pull off.

facial hair. my beard is getting quite gross. i thought i could last until christmas but its down right disgusting. i was thinking of doing chin straps, just not too skinny. no mustache at all! i hate it. i also don't want to look like a guido and i don't want to be clean shaved.

shoes. I am big on sneakers, not shoes. i wear semi tight pants so i don't like the big bulky shoes at all. i had a pair of sambas for a while, loved em. i might get the white classic ones. i have a pair of pumas which i love. i just got them actually. but, just one pair won't suffice at all.

what should i do.

I would say cut the hair off, and make it short. (either military cut or a high 'n' tight)

Facial hair...get rid of it, lol. Side burn are ok to have.

AS for shoes...well, Pumas are very nice, they can be sporty and yet classy at the same time. You need to add a nice pair of more dressy shoes to you collection. You can never have too many pairs :biggrin: :!)

mcknia07 said:
I would say cut the hair off, and make it short. (either military cut or a high 'n' tight)

Facial hair...get rid of it, lol. Side burn are ok to have.

AS for shoes...well, Pumas are very nice, they can be sporty and yet classy at the same time. You need to add a nice pair of more dressy shoes to you collection. You can never have too many pairs :biggrin: :!)

for the hair, i was thinking something along the lines of this: http://www.kjbeckett.com/mensfashionblog/uploaded_images/david_beckham_calendar_photo-783138.jpg

if i can pull it off with my hair but, as close too as i can get it.

the facial hair: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/joefolly/shave.jpg
its a little thicker than i would normally do, i actually think its OK and will probably keep doing it the way I am used too. a little thinner, more rigid and defined.

i have a bunch of shoes already lol. i have like a blue/orange/green pair of reboks, pump speed cats in black, puma romas in white, black sambas. clogs, navy and white new balances. not sure of the brands but two pairs of black dress shoes, and one pair of brown :)

probably going to get some more though. no more dress shoes though. need casual shoes.