The Appeal of Dressing Fashionably for Men

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, guys who dress fashionably tend to be more attractive to women. This is because they dress in a sophisticated way that shows they care about their appearance. They also tend to be more comfortable in formal clothing, because they don't rely on it as much. However, the cost of fashionable clothing can be prohibitive for some, and may not be necessary for others.
JasonRox said:
You can't fix big shirts no matter what you do.

American style shirts should be banned from the planet.

I donno, if you ever fall out of an airplane they make for good parachutes.

Physics news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
Y
American style shirts should be banned from the planet.

I'm still trying to figure out how these are "American" style. Every item of clothing that's in the less expensive stores (and even some of the more expensive ones) says, "Made in China," "Made in Pakistan," "Made in the Phillipines," "Made in Mexico," "Made in Guatamala." None of it says, "Made in America" or "Made in U.S.A." Really, I don't think it's an intentional style, I think it's just crappy workmanship from places with cheap wages and no quality control.

Moonbear said:
I'm still trying to figure out how these are "American" style. Every item of clothing that's in the less expensive stores (and even some of the more expensive ones) says, "Made in China," "Made in Pakistan," "Made in the Phillipines," "Made in Mexico," "Made in Guatamala." None of it says, "Made in America" or "Made in U.S.A." Really, I don't think it's an intentional style, I think it's just crappy workmanship from places with cheap wages and no quality control.

If you have ever bought clothing in Europe or Asia you would know. American clothing is much much much bigger. A size large here would be a size XXL in Europe or Asia.

So, that's why, when I went into bebe they told me I look like a size 2, so they handed me a 4, and well...I have curves and it still didn't seem to fit me. I just started to get fed up, but, i can't help it I have curves, and all those other ladies were total twigs, with no shape at all.

mcknia07 said:
So, that's why, when I went into bebe they told me I look like a size 2, so they handed me a 4, and well...I have curves and it still didn't seem to fit me. I just started to get fed up, but, i can't help it I have curves, and all those other ladies were total twigs, with no shape at all.
I'm a twig shape with large chicken breasts. I used to wear a size 0, my older daughter is 5'7" and wears a size 0 and it's baggy.

Evo said:
I'm a twig shape with large chicken breasts. I used to wear a size 0, my older daughter is 5'7" and wears a size 0 and it's baggy.
I remember Twiggy. :biggrin:

Evo said:

Wow, you and your daughter are very lucky. Size 0 would never fit me again, my curves and long legs screw me there.

And as for Twiggy, she is very pretty...I only wish I was as pretty as her!

Moonbear said:
But, now that my skills are improving, the next thing I want to learn to make are blouses and men's shirts.

Check out David Coffin's book "Shirtmaking: Developing skill for fine sewing."

I'm a seamstress in my better non-stressed moments (since about 5). I like the geometrical aspects of taking cloth and shaping it into proper form. I'm currently lusting after a japanese book("Pattern Magic") http://www.yesasia.com/us/1004092111-0-0-0-en/info.html" and its sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I'm a twig shape with large chicken breasts.
A large-breasted, thin woman. You must have guys beating ... a path to your door.

mcknia07 said:
Wow, you and your daughter are very lucky. Size 0 would never fit me again, my curves and long legs screw me there.
What does being lucky have to do with wearing size 0 and why are you so obsessed with wearing small sized clothing? Just find something that fits and looks good on you, no matter what the label says.

Moonbear said:

It's an American cut. Just because it's made in the US or China or wherever, does not mean the cut relates to their area. They make European cuts in the US, but it is in no way and American cut or style. Their exists no American slim cut.

China is simply giving Americans their cut and style.

It's definitely American.

I remember some customers wondering why the nice shirt doesn't fit so well, and I would always have to explain that it's American. Some walked away like I saved them a lot of money because they'll never buy it again. American cuts are horrid for narrow or athletic frames, like me or Cyrus or others here.

The sad part is how stores like A&F and Hollister started shifting their cuts to a more American fitting. Hence, I'm less likely to purchase it now. I don't see BR or Zara taking that route.

mcknia07 said:

You have to work with your body that's all.

Skirts should go well on a girl with curves.

Monique said:
What does being lucky have to do with wearing size 0 and why are you so obsessed with wearing small sized clothing? Just find something that fits and looks good on you, no matter what the label says.

Just saying, that being small has it's advantages. (clothes fit better, pretty much just go in and it will fit) I would never want to be a size 0 again. I would look dead. People already tell me that I'm way to skinny. I know that every label and factory is different, I wear all different sizes, its not really a bother to me. I would like to know my true size though.

JasonRox said:

I do work with it, and I try to do it well.

As for skirts...everyone compliments me when I wear my skirts, so I take it I must know how to pull them off, maybe.

mcknia07 said:
I do work with it, and I try to do it well.

As for skirts...everyone compliments me when I wear my skirts, so I take it I must know how to pull them off, maybe.

I thought the point of a skirt is that you don't have to pull it off. hmmmmm... :-/

TheStatutoryApe said:
I thought the point of a skirt is that you don't have to pull it off. hmmmmm... :-/

Well...I guess, in a way, you are right too...

mcknia07 said:
Just saying, that being small has it's advantages. (clothes fit better, pretty much just go in and it will fit) I would never want to be a size 0 again. I would look dead. People already tell me that I'm way to skinny. I know that every label and factory is different, I wear all different sizes, its not really a bother to me. I would like to know my true size though.
I'm sorry, but being small has nothing to do with having a standardized shape. There is nothing like a true size, it depends entirely on how the fabric is cut. The only true size there is are your own measurements, which will be different for each person.

Monique said:
I'm sorry, but being small has nothing to do with having a standardized shape. There is nothing like a true size, it depends entirely on how the fabric is cut. The only true size there is are your own measurements, which will be different for each person.

Ok, you are very right. I was just saying I want to know what a "real size" of clothing is. I wish there was a set way things had to be measured. It would make things so much easier, to just go in and pick out clothes.

Standardised clothing sizes for women would be very, very handy.

Last edited:
GeorginaS said:
As would standardized women.

GeorginaS said:

Yes, and to think that a guy can just go in and pretty much say what size he is, and it will fit pretty well. Men are so lucky...

DaveC426913 said:
As would standardized women.

Are you saying you want every woman to be the same? Oh come on, you need some variance :)

mcknia07 said:
Are you saying you want every woman to be the same? Oh come on, you need some variance :)
No, I just said it would be handy.

We could simply buy two of the same lingerie. Save us those embarrassing mix ups at Christmas.

GeorginaS said:
I've found that size is directly proportional to cost. The more expensive the clothing, the smaller the size that fits me.

Bad, bad Dave...Trying to fool 2 women at once. What a shame!

mcknia07 said:
Yes, and to think that a guy can just go in and pretty much say what size he is, and it will fit pretty well. Men are so lucky...

Did you pay attention at all in this thread about what the guys have posted? Clearly, not. :rolleyes:

GeorginaS said:
Ain't happening! Women will pay more for clothing that fits them AND is branded as being a few sizes smaller than they really are. Guys don't get this. We would wear Levis that had a large tag over the right hip proudly displaying the waist and inseam measurements. Women?... not so much.

I don't see what the problem is. A woman can claim that she wears size X in designer Y's fashion line, but if she's got a dumpy butt or ends up with muffin-tops most of the time, her friends will know her approximate size, and they will know that she is scamming them. If she is a larger woman and she buys clothing appropriate to her size and looks good, her cattier friends will say that she looks "matronly". "Fashion" is a way for people to put peer pressure on others, and to give those who are favored with "good" genetics (depending on the times) an advantage over others. Please remember that not so long ago, women that would now be called fat were highly regarded for their beauty and were well-represented in art.

mcknia07 said:
I wish there was a set way things had to be measured. It would make things so much easier, to just go in and pick out clothes.
Now wouldn't it be nice if in the future you just get yourself scanned, so that you get custom-made factory items at little extra cost? I can see that happening.

mcknia07 said:

Then try a different store, or different clothes. Some are cut to accommodate curves better than others. Don't be afraid to go up in sizes. This mentality that you should be some particular size and don't try on the larger sizes is one of the reasons stores are so inconsistent in their sizing...they'll put out something that should be a size 6 or 8 and label it a size 4 just so someone who insists they're a size 4 will pick it up and try it on and buy it.

JasonRox said:

Not all skirts. You need to consider the shape of the skirt. Some skirts are best on sticks, some best on curvy frames, some are good for shorter women and others better on those with long legs, and some should be donated to the costume department of the local children's theater. To find clothes that fit, you pretty much have to resolve yourself to trying on the entire store to find one outfit.

Moonbear said:
Not all skirts.

Incorrect, short skirts look good all the time and on all frames.

JasonRox said:
Incorrect, short skirts look good all the time and on all frames.
You've not visited Scotland then ?

http://www.utilikilts.com/

Today is the first day I didn't wear my hat. I always tried hair styles and none of them worked.

I always had my hat on with the wings flaring out. That was my trademark I guess. I never liked it too much everyone else seemed to even though it looked odd.

So, by accident last week I didn't wash my hair (ran out of shampoo) and my hair got a greasy and straight. I liked it and it worked pretty well. So I went to a hairdresser and she straightened it (chemically) and now I have all these chemicals in my hair. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Then I'll let it grease up and that will be my new trademark. :smile:

JasonRox said:
Too long. It shouldn't go past the butt cheeks.
Well that would be interesting - but don't you think it has to be at least long enough to reach up to the belt? :blushing:

JasonRox said:
Then I'll let it grease up and that will be my new trademark. :smile:

This scares me.

I used to always wear a newsboy hat in undergrad (before Britney Spears, etc. made them popular)... and i had my pencils (about 10 of them) stuck up in my hat for storage. One day the physics guys pulled my hat off for two reasons.. to check if my hair was clean (it was!) an to count the pencils. I even had people say I should sell the hats (since I made them in series as I lost them, out of corduroy scavenged from thrift stores).

By grad school, I was taking chucks of hair and wraping them into little curls all over my head, or doing high-up, mickey-mouse-ear-style princess-leia buns (these were both also a good place for pencils).

Now that I'm "grown-up", I just do a severe a-line cut with short-cropped bangs (like Uma Thurman in pulp fiction). I've even had students say I look like her.

My message: your look can change (and I like the idea of a signature look -- even the hat with wings!)... but I'd be scared of the greasy hair!