1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The arclength of a parametrized segment (integration).

1. May 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For two points p and q in ℝ^n, use the formula (20.3) to check that the arclength of the parametrized segment from p to q is ||p - q||.

2. Relevant equations
    Formula (20.3):
    A smooth parametrized path [tex]\gamma: [a, b]→ℝ^n[/tex]is rectifiable, and its arclength l is given by
    [tex]l = \int_{a}^{b}||\gamma '||[/tex]

Norm of a point x = (x_1, ... , x_n) in ℝ^n is defined in this book as
    [tex]||x|| = \sqrt{x_1^2 + ... + x_n^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]\gamma: [q, p]→ℝ^n[/tex]
    is defined as
    [tex]\gamma (t) = (\gamma _1 (t), \gamma _2 (t), ... , \gamma _n (t))[/tex]
    [tex]t \in [q, p][/tex]
    then
    [tex]\gamma '(t) = (\gamma _1 '(t), ... , \gamma _n '(t))[/tex]
    [tex]||\gamma '(t)|| = \sqrt{(\gamma _1 '(t))^2+ ... + (\gamma _n '(t))^2}[/tex]

[tex]l = \int_{q}^{p} \sqrt{(\gamma _1 '(t))^2+ ... + (\gamma _n '(t))^2} dt [/tex]

I can't figure out how to integrate this though to get to ||p - q||.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to write out the actual parameterization. Start with ##p=(p_1,p_2,...,p_n)## and ##q = (q_1,q_2,...q_n)##. Write out the parameterization of the line pq and work out the integral.

4. May 6, 2012 #3
    I just realized p and q are in ##ℝ^n##. So [p, q] isn't an interval I can integrate over.
    I just found the equation I should probably use: ##\gamma:[0,1]→ℝ^n## defined as ##\gamma (t) = tq + 1(1 - t)p## for ##t \in [0, 1]##.
    Thanks for the hint.

5. May 6, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good start. Now calculate ##|\gamma'(t)|## and work out the ##t## integral. You can do it by components or work at this level.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook