Arclength Problem; stuck on integration

In summary, the arclength of a curve is the distance along the curve from one point to another, calculated using the integral of the square root of the sum of the squared derivatives of the curve. To find the arclength, one can use the formula ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx, which can be solved using various integration techniques. If stuck, it may be helpful to review integration techniques or seek assistance. Other methods for solving the arclength problem include using the arc length formula or numerical integration. Real-world applications of the arclength problem include calculating distances traveled, measuring curved roads or structures, and solving problems in various fields such as physics and engineering.
hsbhsb

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of $$r(t) = <{t}^2/2,{t}^3/3>$$ from t=-1 to t=1

Homework Equations

I have used this equation for arclength $$\int_{-1}^{1}|{r}'(t)|dt$$

The Attempt at a Solution

After integrating (using u substitution) I have the solution

$$\frac{1}{3}({t^2+1})^\frac{3}{2}$$ evaluated from t = -1 to t = 1. Of course, this yields 0! Which doesn't make any sense for arclength.

I know that the problem is somewhere in my integration step because in mathematica both the ArcLength[ $$\int_{-1}^{1}|{r}'(t)|dt$$] function and the Integrate[$$\sqrt{t^2+t^4}$$] give the same result $$\frac{2}{3}(-1+2\sqrt{2})$$, which seems to be the solution. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
hsbhsb said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$$\frac{1}{3}({t^2+1})^\frac{3}{2}$$ evaluated from t = -1 to t = 1. Of course, this yields 0! Which doesn't make any sense for arclength.

I know that the problem is somewhere in my integration step because in mathematica both the ArcLength[ $$\int_{-1}^{1}|{r}'(t)|dt$$] function and the Integrate[$$\sqrt{t^2+t^4}$$] give the same result $$\frac{2}{3}(-1+2\sqrt{2})$$, which seems to be the solution. What am I doing wrong?
You've made some kind of mistake in your original calculation, but you don't provide your work, so the details elude us.

I would go back and carefully check the integration, including any u-subs you made.

hsbhsb said:
I quess you forgot that $$\sqrt{t^2+t^4}=|t|\sqrt{1+t^2}$$.

hsbhsb said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

You are making a standard error, but rather than telling you exactly what it is I will attempt to lead you do discover it for yourself---that will server you best in the long run.

Draw a graph of ##f(t) = \sqrt{t^2+t^4}## over ##-1 \leq t \leq 1##. Can you see the meaning of the integral ##\int_{-1}^1 f(t) \, dt##?
hsbhsb said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

For an even function ##f(t)## we have ##\int_{-a}^a f(t) \, dt = 2 \int_0^a f(t) \, dt##. Using that is the best way to avoid elementary blunders.

1. What is the definition of arclength?

The arclength of a curve is the distance along the curve from one point to another. It is calculated by using the integral of the square root of the sum of the squared derivatives of the curve.

2. How do I find the arclength of a curve?

To find the arclength of a curve, you need to use the formula: ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx, where dy/dx is the derivative of the curve. This integral can be solved using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution.

3. What if I am stuck on solving the arclength problem?

If you are stuck on solving the arclength problem, it may be helpful to review your integration techniques and make sure you have correctly set up the integral. You can also consult with a tutor or fellow classmates for assistance.

4. Can the arclength problem be solved using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for solving the arclength problem, such as using the arc length formula (s = rθ), or using a calculator or software program that can perform numerical integration. However, integration using the formula ∫√(1+(dy/dx)^2)dx is the most common method taught in calculus courses.

5. What are some real-world applications of the arclength problem?

The arclength problem has many real-world applications, such as calculating the distance traveled by a moving object, finding the length of a curved road or track, and determining the amount of material needed to make a curved structure. It is also used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model and solve various problems involving curves and distances.