1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arclength Problem; stuck on integration

1. Jul 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the arclength of $$r(t) = <{t}^2/2,{t}^3/3>$$ from t=-1 to t=1

2. Relevant equations

I have used this equation for arclength $$\int_{-1}^{1}|{r}'(t)|dt$$

3. The attempt at a solution

After integrating (using u substitution) I have the solution

$$\frac{1}{3}({t^2+1})^\frac{3}{2}$$ evaluated from t = -1 to t = 1. Of course, this yields 0! Which doesn't make any sense for arclength.

I know that the problem is somewhere in my integration step because in mathematica both the ArcLength[ $$\int_{-1}^{1}|{r}'(t)|dt$$] function and the Integrate[$$\sqrt{t^2+t^4}$$] give the same result $$\frac{2}{3}(-1+2\sqrt{2})$$, which seems to be the solution. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've made some kind of mistake in your original calculation, but you don't provide your work, so the details elude us.

I would go back and carefully check the integration, including any u-subs you made.

4. Jul 4, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I quess you forgot that $$\sqrt{t^2+t^4}=|t|\sqrt{1+t^2}$$.

5. Jul 4, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making a standard error, but rather than telling you exactly what it is I will attempt to lead you do discover it for yourself---that will server you best in the long run.

Draw a graph of ##f(t) = \sqrt{t^2+t^4}## over ##-1 \leq t \leq 1##. Can you see the meaning of the integral ##\int_{-1}^1 f(t) \, dt##?
    For an even function ##f(t)## we have ##\int_{-a}^a f(t) \, dt = 2 \int_0^a f(t) \, dt##. Using that is the best way to avoid elementary blunders.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted