The Average Force Exerted on the Ball

In summary, a 1.83 kg steel ball with a speed of 4.08 m/s and an angle of 67.6 degrees strikes a massive wall and bounces off with the same speed and angle. Given that the ball is in contact with the wall for 0.105 seconds, the magnitude of the average force exerted on the ball by the wall can be calculated using F=ΔP/Δt, where ΔP is the change in momentum in the x direction. After correcting for the angle, the average force is found to be 7.92562 N.
Tavia15

Homework Statement

A 1.83 kg steel ball strikes a massive wall at
4.08 m/s at an angle of 67.6◦ with the plane of
the wall. It bounces off with the same speed
and angle. If the ball is in contact with the wall for
0.105 s , what is the magnitude of average
force exerted on the ball by the wall? Answer
in units of N.

Homework Equations

F= ΔP/Δt
J_y=ΔP=0
J_x=ΔP=P_f - P_i

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the ΔP in the x direction, and divided that by the time they gave me.

F= (2*m*v*cos(theta))/Δt
F= (2*1.83*4.08*cos(67.6))/.105 = 7.92562

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind.. I had my calculator in radians...

Hi Tavia15, welcome to PF.
The angle is with the plane of the wall.
So you have to replace cosθ by sinθ.

Thank you:)

1. What is the average force exerted on the ball?

The average force exerted on the ball is the total force applied to the ball divided by the time it takes for the force to be applied. This value is important in understanding the overall impact of a force on the motion of the ball.

2. How is the average force exerted on the ball calculated?

The average force exerted on the ball can be calculated by dividing the change in momentum of the ball by the time interval in which the force was applied. This can also be represented by the equation F = Δp/Δt, where F is the average force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the time interval.

3. What factors can affect the average force exerted on the ball?

There are several factors that can affect the average force exerted on the ball. These include the mass and velocity of the ball, the angle at which the force is applied, and any external forces acting on the ball such as air resistance or friction.

4. Is the average force exerted on the ball the same as the maximum force exerted?

No, the average force exerted on the ball is not the same as the maximum force exerted. The average force takes into account the total force exerted over a period of time, while the maximum force is the highest amount of force exerted at any given moment.

5. How is the average force exerted on the ball affected by the material of the ball?

The material of the ball can affect the average force exerted in different ways. For example, a softer ball may deform more upon impact, resulting in a longer time interval and a lower average force. On the other hand, a harder ball may not deform as much and therefore have a shorter time interval and a higher average force.