The back EMF of a DC motor spinning at full speed

In summary, the back EMF at full speed in a DC motor with a 5Ω armature winding resistance and a 120V line voltage is 100V. This can be calculated by subtracting the voltage in the motor (20V) from the line voltage (120V), as the back EMF opposes the line voltage and reduces the net voltage across the winding resistance. The formula for net potential is E= Vline-Vmotor.
OmegaFury

Homework Statement

The resistance of the armature windings of a DC motor is 5Ω. The motor is connected to a 120V line. When the motor is spinning at full speed, it draws a current of 4A. The back EMF at full speed is:

Homework Equations

Pav=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I2peakR
Pav=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]εpeakIpeak

The Attempt at a Solution

Pav=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]I2peakR
=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](4A)25Ω=40W
Pav=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]εpeakIpeak
2Pav/Ipeakpeak
2(40W)/4A=20V.
This isn't correct. I also didn't know what to do with the 120V line.

Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably in the motor the back EMF opposes the line voltage. That reduces the net voltage that appears across the winding resistance, and it's the net voltage that drives the current through the winding resistance.

Does that mean that the back emf is equal to the line voltage minus the peak emf?

OmegaFury said:
Does that mean that the back emf is equal to the line voltage minus the peak emf?

Peak emf? At constant rotation rate ("spinning at full speed") the back emf will be a constant value.

gneill said:
Peak emf? At constant rotation rate ("spinning at full speed") the back emf will be a constant value.

I don't follow. I honestly don't fully understand what peak values are. Or rms values for that matter. They just come up in formulas for average power... All I know is that it has something to do with an alternating current, and they arise from moving electrical charges that periodically switch direction. It supposedly has some advantage over a direct, one directional current, but what that advantage is and why, I have no clue.

Here you're dealing with a DC motor. The supply voltage is DC. You can expect the back emf to be a constant DC value as well so long as RPM is constant.

If the supply voltage is V and the back emf is E, and the current is I and the coil resistance is R, (whew!), then if E opposes V, what is the current? What formula would you write for the net potential if "E opposes V"?

gneill said:
If the supply voltage is V and the back emf is E, and the current is I and the coil resistance is R, (whew!), then if E opposes V, what is the current?
The current would be 120V/5Ω= 24A

gneill said:
What formula would you write for the net potential if "E opposes V"?
...E= -V?

OmegaFury said:
The current would be 120V/5Ω= 24A
Nope. Because 120V is the line voltage, not the net voltage across the coil. The back EMF opposes the line voltage. Also, you're GIVEN the current...
...E= -V?
Nope. That would make the net potential across the coil zero, so that no current would flow.

Perhaps a simple diagram will help:

EMF.png

If you treat the EMF voltage E as a simple DC Voltage supply, what would the equation for Ia equal? You can then move that around to solve for E.

gneill said:
Nope. Because 120V is the line voltage, not the net voltage across the coil. The back EMF opposes the line voltage. Also, you're GIVEN the current...
Okay. So. You meant find the voltage in the motor. I suppose that would be V=IR=4A x 5Ω=20V.

gneill said:
Nope. That would make the net potential across the coil zero, so that no current would flow.
Umm... E= Vline-Vmotor

OmegaFury said:
Okay. So. You meant find the voltage in the motor. I suppose that would be V=IR=4A x 5Ω=20V.

Umm... E= Vline-Vmotor

Yes, that looks good. So E = ?

gneill said:
yes, that looks good. So e = ?
120V-20V= 100V

That took me forever X__X

OmegaFury said:
120V-20V= 100V

That took me forever X__X

Perhaps. But then, you're probably going to remember it :smile:

gneill said:
Perhaps. But then, you're probably going to remember it :smile:

Lol. Very true. Frustration is well-remembered while ease is a fleeting memory.

1. What is back EMF in a DC motor?

The back EMF (electromotive force) in a DC motor is the voltage that is generated when the motor is spinning. It is caused by the changing magnetic field in the motor's armature interacting with the permanent magnets in the stator. This voltage opposes the applied voltage and is responsible for controlling the speed of the motor.

2. How does back EMF affect the performance of a DC motor?

Back EMF plays a crucial role in the performance of a DC motor. As the motor spins faster, the back EMF increases, which in turn reduces the current flowing through the motor. This helps to maintain a constant speed and prevents the motor from burning out due to too much current. Back EMF also helps with torque control, allowing the motor to maintain a steady level of torque at different speeds.

3. Can back EMF damage a DC motor?

Back EMF is a normal and necessary occurrence in a DC motor and does not cause damage. In fact, it helps to protect the motor from overheating and burning out. However, if there is a sudden change in the voltage supply or if the motor is not properly designed to handle back EMF, it can lead to damage or malfunction.

4. How can back EMF be measured in a DC motor?

Back EMF can be measured using a multimeter or an oscilloscope. To do this, the motor must be disconnected from the power supply and the multimeter or oscilloscope must be connected to the motor's leads. When the motor is spinning, the back EMF voltage can be read from the instrument's display.

5. How can back EMF be controlled in a DC motor?

Back EMF can be controlled by adjusting the applied voltage or by using external circuitry such as a controller. By varying the voltage, the speed and torque of the motor can be controlled, which in turn affects the back EMF. Properly designed motor controllers can also regulate the back EMF to maintain a stable and efficient operation of the motor.