The Benefits of Partitioned Sleep: A Spanish & Japanese Perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of polyphasic sleep and its potential benefits in gaining more hours in a day without feeling tired. The speaker proposes taking two 3-hour "naps" at specific intervals to achieve this. The concept is compared to the traditional siesta practiced by Spaniards, although it is not partitioned evenly. The speaker is curious about any possible negative effects and is open to monitoring themselves closely. They also mention the term "biphasic" sleep and wonder if anyone else has experience with it. Lastly, they clarify that only a small percentage of Spaniards still practice regular napping.
professor
i am thinking it partioning sleep patterns, and as far as i can tell, i can get it down to 3 hours or so a day, though i don't want to take 6 naps or so a day as this will lead to decreased levels of seratonin,melanin etc. i beliave that if i take two 3 hour "naps" or rather partitioned sections of sleep 10, and 8 hour apart, the i may very well be able to sucessfully gain 2 hours a day without tiredness, and little other in the way of negative outcome. Spaniards do this with their siestas, though their sleep is not partitioned evenly they still manage to go on just fine with what could be an elimination of sleep because of quicker jumping into rem cycles, and still with enough to produce a fair amount of needed bodily cemicals. they don't do this efficiently enough to beat out the sleep-deprives japanese as far as least sleep daily goes, but i think that in this way, 6 hours should be ample. does anyone have any experiense with polyphastic sleep, and the possible adverse affects that i may experience. (i intend to monitor myself as closely as possible, as i am quite curious as to any effects ood or bad).

Biology news on Phys.org
no one knows of it, seems surprising a bunch of physicsts can allways use some spare time, what about ubermans (and excuse me, its actually biphasic* sleep, not phastic i just hit an extera letter, though i doubt that will jar anyones memories

and oh yeah the spaniards thing for you critics doesent refer to all, or those of today, as only around 7-10% still take regular catnaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is partitioned sleep?

Partitioned sleep refers to a sleep pattern where an individual sleeps in two separate blocks rather than one continuous period of sleep. This was a common practice in many cultures before the industrial revolution, and is still practiced in some modern societies.

What are the benefits of partitioned sleep?

Partitioned sleep has been found to have several benefits, including improved memory consolidation, increased creativity and problem-solving abilities, and better overall sleep quality. It has also been linked to improved mental and physical health.

How does the Spanish perspective on partitioned sleep differ from the Japanese perspective?

In Spain, partitioned sleep is known as "siesta" and is a cultural tradition where people take a midday nap. In Japan, partitioned sleep is known as "inemuri" and is more commonly practiced by workers who take short naps during the day to combat fatigue.

Are there any downsides to partitioned sleep?

Partitioned sleep may not be suitable for everyone and can disrupt daily routines. It may also be challenging to adjust to this sleep pattern if one is used to a continuous sleep cycle. Additionally, some jobs may not allow for breaks or naps during the day, making partitioned sleep difficult to incorporate into one's routine.

Should partitioned sleep be adopted by modern societies?

There is no clear answer to this question as it ultimately depends on individual preferences and lifestyles. While partitioned sleep may have benefits, it may not be practical or feasible for everyone to adopt this sleep pattern. More research is needed to fully understand the effects and potential drawbacks of partitioned sleep in modern societies.