1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The best elementary book to study Particle physics

1. Mar 10, 2010 #1
    I am looking forward to study Particle physics on my own. Can someone suggest me a book which I can read and understand by myself?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2010 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is your physics background?

4. Mar 10, 2010 #3
    i am an undergraduate student. have read classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Mar 10, 2010 #5
    I like very much the two books George Jones suggested. Other possibilities include : "Facts and mysteries in elementary particle physics" by Veltman (world scientific 2003). It is informal, contains quite some historical anecdotes and is thus very pleasant to read.

There is a new editon of Close's classic book called "The new cosmic onion, quarks and the Nature of the Universe" (Taylor & Francis 2007) which is similar in spirit.

By increasing order of slightly more technical, there are other classics, I sample here a few :
    "Modern elementary particle physics" Gordon Kane (Addison Wesley 1993)
    "Quarks and leptons, an introductory course in modern particle physics" Halzen & Martin (John Wiley 1984)
    "Gauge theories in particle physics" Aitchison & Hey (IOP 2003)
    "Introduction to high energy physics" Perkins (Cambridge 2000 4th edition)
    "An introduction to relativistic processes and the standard model of electroweak interactions" Becchi & Ridolfi (Springer-Verlag 2006)
    "Electroweak theory" Paschos (Cambridge 2007)

7. Mar 10, 2010 #6

Haelfix

Science Advisor

Griffith for sure. The book is a gem.

8. Mar 11, 2010 #7

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Another vote for Griffiths.

9. Mar 21, 2010 #8
    Griffiths!

10. May 8, 2011 #9
    Particle physics also interests me. The Griffith book looks really good, but I am not sure whether I am ready for it or not. I am an undergrad and have only taken mechanics, E&M, and some optic/relativity.

Are there any "pre-req" books I should read before this one?

11. May 10, 2011 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the preface to Griffiths

12. May 20, 2012 #11
    Can someone give me the titles of a few books for introductory elementary particle physics? I'm in 10th grade, and all the ones listed seem a bit advanced.

13. May 20, 2012 #12
    I'd recommend the Veltman book mentioned earlier.

14. Aug 12, 2013 #13
    Book recommendation

I enjoyed reading some of Michio Kaku's books, and I recently read The Particle at the End of the Universe, by Sean Carroll. I am currently reading The Fabric of the Cosmos, by Brian Greene. I am in 8th grade and could comprehend these books. Hope this helps.

15. Aug 13, 2013 #14

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I liked Lederman's "The God Particle" very much. Don't be mislead by the title, it's a really good popular-science book on particle physics.

16. Mar 23, 2014 #15
    Griffiths' one is an easy read!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted