Books: solid state, statistical, elementary particle physics

In summary, the speaker is looking for book recommendations for their upcoming courses in solid state physics, statistical physics, and elementary particles. They enjoyed books by Griffiths and are considering getting Griffiths' book on elementary particles. They have heard recommendations for Mandl's book on statistical physics and are open to suggestions for solid state physics.
armis
Greetings

Next semester I'll have solid state physics, statistical physics and and introductionary course in elementary particles. So I was wondering maby those of you who had those subjects could recommend me some books.
I really liked books by Griffiths so far. Especially the one on QM which I am still reading together with Shankar's. So I was thinking about grabbing Griffith's book on elementary particles. But maby there is better?
As far as statistical physics go I haven't really picked one but I have heard that the one by Franz Mandl is good. Is it?
I am even less sure about solid state physics.
So I guess what I really mean is that suggestions are more than welcome!

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at " Electromagnetic FIelds and Waves", by Lorian and Corson. Amazing Electromagnetism text!
Quantum Mechanics, I really like text by Robinett. ( I wish I had anwsers to some of his problems)

for the greetings!

Hello! It's great to hear that you will be studying solid state, statistical, and elementary particle physics next semester. These are all fascinating and important areas of physics. I would recommend the following books for each subject:

1. Solid State Physics: "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel and "Solid State Physics" by Neil Ashcroft and N. David Mermin are both excellent and comprehensive textbooks for this subject.

2. Statistical Physics: "Statistical Physics" by Franz Mandl is a great choice, as you mentioned. Another highly recommended book is "Thermal Physics" by Daniel Schroeder.

3. Elementary Particle Physics: "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths is a popular choice, and for good reason. It provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to the subject. Another great book is "An Introduction to Particle Physics and the Standard Model" by Robert Mann.

Of course, these are just a few suggestions and there are many other great books out there. I would also recommend checking with your professors to see if they have any specific recommendations for your courses. Best of luck with your studies!

for your interest in these subjects! I would recommend the following books for each of these topics:

1. Solid State Physics: "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel. This is a classic textbook that covers all the fundamental concepts of solid state physics in a clear and concise manner.

2. Statistical Physics: "Statistical Physics" by Franz Mandl. This book provides a comprehensive introduction to statistical mechanics and includes many examples and exercises to help you understand the concepts.

3. Elementary Particle Physics: "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths. This book covers the basics of particle physics, including the Standard Model and particle interactions, in a clear and engaging way. It also includes exercises and problems to help you solidify your understanding.

I would also recommend checking out other textbooks by authors such as Richard Feynman, Leonard Susskind, and Steven Weinberg, as they are also highly regarded in the field of physics. Good luck with your studies!

What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the branch of physics that studies the properties of solid materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It deals with the behavior of electrons and atoms in these materials and how they contribute to the physical properties of solids.

What is statistical physics?

Statistical physics is the branch of physics that uses statistical methods to explain and predict the behavior of large systems of particles. It studies the properties of matter at a macroscopic level, such as temperature, pressure, and entropy, by analyzing the behavior of individual particles.

What is elementary particle physics?

Elementary particle physics is the branch of physics that studies the fundamental particles that make up the universe, such as electrons, protons, and quarks. It seeks to understand the basic building blocks of matter and the fundamental forces that govern their interactions.

How are these fields related?

Solid state physics, statistical physics, and elementary particle physics are all subfields of physics that focus on different aspects of matter. They are related in that they all seek to understand the behavior and properties of matter at different scales, from the microscopic level of particles to the macroscopic level of materials.

What are some real-world applications of these fields?

Solid state physics has applications in the development of electronic devices, such as transistors and computer chips. Statistical physics is used in fields such as thermodynamics and materials science. Elementary particle physics has led to advancements in particle accelerators and the development of new technologies, such as medical imaging devices.