1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The big O notationm, what does it mean?

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Do you know what O(x) means? This O was put after a Taylor polynomial, and I don't get what it means. I've read the definition, and I don't really get it, what does it actually tell me?

For example, what does writing exp(x) = 1 + x + x^2/4 + O(x^3) , where Rn(x) is O(x^3) (Rn(x) is the remainder) tell me?
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I feel a compelling need to point out it's x2/2 actually. Regardless.

If you have f(x) = o(p(x)) for some f and p, it means that as x goes to zero, f goes to zero faster than p, i.e. f/p -> 0 as x goes to zero. This is meant to indicate that near zero something is so small, it's going to vanish when you take a limit to zero.

O is the opposite. f(x) = O(p(x)) means that as x goes to infinity, f is bounded above by p, i.e. there is some constant C such that f(x) <= C*p(x) for all large x.

So in your Taylor series example, I don't agree with what's written (assuming you meant little o as you stated in your second sentence) as the remainder is

[tex]x^3/6 + ...[/tex] and when you divide through by x3 you get [tex]1/6 + x*(stuff that's at least constant)[/tex] which doesn't go to zero. It IS o(x2 as when you divide through by x2 you get

[tex]x/6 + x^2/24 + ... = x*(stuff)[/tex] and that goes to zero as x goes to zero
  4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    Re: The big O notation, what does it mean?

Yes, it's 2! = 2 :D

Anyway, it's a big O, not a little o, I don't know why I wrote little o, I was tired I guess. Sorry. I mean big O.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?