The Blog post that started Memogate (LINK)

• News
  • Thread starter Tigers2B1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blog Link
In summary, the document fraud as it happened was discovered when someone noticed that all the memos to file were written in a proportionally spaced font, which was not in common use until the mid-90's. This should be pursued aggressively as it is likely that the documents are forgeries, and may have been created using a copier.
Tigers2B1
The discovery of the document fraud as it happened! Scroll down to post 47, which shows the initial 09/08/2004 discovery that something is amiss with the CBS docs – The poster is a lawyer who goes by the Internet moniker "Buckhead." I assume "Buckhead" is now a conservative internet legend. Go to the site and read the thread ffrom 47 on as posters begin to understand what has just been discovered and the implications.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1210662/posts?q=1&&page=1

Here's the famous (or infamous) Post 47

To: Howlin

Howlin, every single one of these memos to file is in a proportionally spaced font, probably Palatino or Times New Roman.

In 1972 people used typewriters for this sort of thing, and typewriters used monospaced fonts.

The use of proportionally spaced fonts did not come into common use for office memos until the introduction of laser printers, word processing software, and personal computers. They were not widespread until the mid to late 90's. Before then, you needed typesetting equipment, and that wasn't used for personal memos to file. Even the Wang systems that were dominant in the mid 80's used monospaced fonts.

I am saying these documents are forgeries, run through a copier for 15 generations to make them look old.

This should be pursued aggressively.

47 posted on 09/08/2004 8:59:43 PM PDT by Buckhead

Physics news on Phys.org
This June, The Post That Rocked The World. Head To Your Theaters To See "post 47"! Starring Fabio As Buckhead. Rated Pg.

I do like the term "Fraudcasters."

Here is an interesting line from the Blog:

"I noticed something related that may or may not have been brought up yet. Whenever the forger writes 1st Lt Bush or 147th or anything like that, it's always 1 st or 147 th. It looks like the forger put the space in on purpose to get by the automatic superscripting, but missed a couple."

I think he may be right.

Here is the shockwave demo that pretty much nails it:

http://img41.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img41&image=60minbusted.swf

Last edited:

1. What is "The Blog post that started Memogate"?

The Blog post that started Memogate is a controversial document that was posted on a political blog in 2004. It was allegedly written by a former U.S. National Guard officer, and it contained explosive claims about then-President George W. Bush's military service. This blog post sparked a media firestorm and became known as "Memogate."

2. Who wrote the blog post?

The author of the blog post remains unknown. The document was published under the pseudonym "Buckhead" and was attributed to a former U.S. National Guard officer. However, the authenticity of the document and the identity of its author have been heavily debated.

3. What were the claims made in the blog post?

The blog post claimed that then-President George W. Bush did not fulfill his duties in the National Guard during the Vietnam War. It included allegations that he received special treatment and that his service records were falsified. These claims were damaging to Bush's reputation and ignited a political controversy.

4. How did the media and public react to the blog post?

The blog post caused a frenzy in the media and among the public. It sparked intense debate and speculation about the authenticity of the claims and the identity of the author. Many news outlets covered the story extensively, and it became a major topic of discussion in the 2004 presidential election.

5. What is the significance of "The Blog post that started Memogate"?

The blog post is significant because it played a role in the 2004 presidential election and raised questions about the authenticity of then-President George W. Bush's military service. It also highlighted the power and influence of the internet and blogs in shaping public opinion and influencing political discourse.

Back