1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The CAUSE OF THE MOTION OF A FIRE HOSE

1. Jan 5, 2013 #1
    ok thank you

<< Moderator's Note -- Do NOT delete your posts after you have received help. That is cheating, and it will not be tolerated here. You agreed to the PF rules when you joined here, and the rules are ver explicit about not altering your posts after you have received help. You are temp banned from the PF. When the ban expires, do NOT do this again! I've restored your posts below, in addition to your PMs to me about the thread. >>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Inertia law - conservation of energy and momentum - details depend on the particular motion of interest. You mean a coiled fire hose on the wall?

I think we need to see the original question.

4. Jan 5, 2013 #3
    Dear Simon Bridge,

Thank you for your reply.
    not really. the fire hose is on the floor. how can I show you the video I've recorded?

5. Jan 5, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can upload the video to some website and link to it.
    If you encode it ogg/theora you can use:
    http://en.flossmanuals.net/ogg-theora/putting-it-online/hosting-sites/ [Broken]
    ... though youtube is a fave.

note: a random oriented nozzle on the floor will whip back and forth - the cause is similar to how a pendulum goes back and forth. The rest of the coils will move according to how the water moves through them (and the head moves). The water may not be moving at a constant flow rate either.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jan 5, 2013 #5
    kjjjii

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. Jan 5, 2013 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread locked

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook