THe change of energy HELP please

In summary, a flywheel is a solid disk used to store energy through rotational kinetic energy and is being considered as an alternative to batteries in electric cars. To calculate the necessary speed for a 13-kg flywheel with a radius of 0.34 m to store 1.1 x 109 J of energy, the moment of inertia must be calculated using the formula 1/2Mr^2. After solving for angular velocity, the answer must be converted to rev/min by dividing by 2pi and multiplying by 60.
agadag

Homework Statement

A flywheel is a solid disk that rotates about an axis that is perpendicular to the disk and its center. Rotating flywheels provide a means for storing energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy and are being considered as a possible alternative to batteries in electric cars. The gasoline burned in a 298-mile trip in a typical midsize car produces about 1.1 x109 J of energy. How fast would a 13-kg flywheel with a radius of 0.34 m have to rotate in order to store this much energy? Give your answer in rev/min.

Homework Equations

K= 1/2 I w2

The Attempt at a Solution

1.1 x 109= .5 (13 (.34)2) w2
solved for w n got the wrong answer. Please tell me where I am going wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
agadag said:

Homework Statement

A flywheel is a solid disk that rotates about an axis that is perpendicular to the disk and its center. Rotating flywheels provide a means for storing energy in the form of rotational kinetic energy and are being considered as a possible alternative to batteries in electric cars. The gasoline burned in a 298-mile trip in a typical midsize car produces about 1.1 x109 J of energy. How fast would a 13-kg flywheel with a radius of 0.34 m have to rotate in order to store this much energy? Give your answer in rev/min.

Homework Equations

K= 1/2 I w2

The Attempt at a Solution

1.1 x 109= .5 (13 (.34)2) w2
solved for w n got the wrong answer. Please tell me where I am going wrong!

Are you expressing your answer in rev/min? Are you sure you are using the right formula for the moment of inertia of a solid disk?

You used the wrong moment of inertia I Find the moment for a SOLID disc

Ok
so i found the moment of inertia of a solid to be 2/5mr2. Used that in the eqn to solve for angular velocity. Then I multiplied that number by 2pie n divided by 60 to get 6330.554 rev/min. This is wrong too! :/

agadag said:
Ok
so i found the moment of inertia of a solid to be 2/5mr2. Used that in the eqn to solve for angular velocity. Then I multiplied that number by 2pie n divided by 60 to get 6330.554 rev/min. This is wrong too! :/

That is the one for a solid sphere, you want the one for a solid disk (or cylinder).

Ok so I used 1/2Mr^2 for inertia.. and did the same thing as before and got 5666.367
still wrong...
uhhhhhh!

Based on what you said in post #4, I don't think you are converting to rev/min properly. You should be dividing by 2pi, and multiplying by 60. Look at your units carefully when you are doing this to make sure they work out to what they should be.

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is present in all things and can exist in various forms such as thermal, electrical, chemical, and mechanical.

2. What causes a change in energy?

A change in energy can be caused by various factors such as the transfer of heat, the movement of an object, or a chemical reaction. It can also be influenced by external forces such as gravity or electromagnetic fields.

3. How does energy change forms?

Energy can change forms through processes such as conversion, transfer, and transformation. For example, the energy from the sun is converted into electrical energy through solar panels, and then can be transferred into thermal energy to heat a building.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. Therefore, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How is energy measured?

The SI unit for energy is joule (J), but other common units include calorie (cal) and kilowatt-hour (kWh). Energy can be measured using various tools such as thermometers, calorimeters, and wattmeters.