Exploring Energy Conservation: A Beginner's Guide to the Fundamental Principle

In summary, energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system. In an open system, energy can be transferred in and out, making the amount of energy not a constant. The origin of energy is still a subject of study. Energy conservation is a consequence of the observation that there is no preferred origin for time, but there are also systems where energy is not conserved, such as an oscillating mass on a spring driven by an external force. The amount of energy in a system is arbitrary and depends on the observer's reference frame. This differs from electric charge, which is conserved and invariant. Further learning about this topic can be found in books or websites accessible to those without a strong scientific background.
sandstorm
Energy cannot be created or destroyed in an isolated system.

Can energy be created or destroyed in an open system? Do open systems exist? Where does energy come from?

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me more about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
sandstorm said:

Can energy be created or destroyed in an open system? Do open systems exist? Where does energy come from?

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me more about this.

I'm not sure why this is puzzling. An "open" system simply means that you allow energy transfer in and out of the system. Example: you HEAT an object, where the object is the "system".

Thus, by definition, the amount of energy of that system isn't a constant.

Zz.

sandstorm said:

I think I might more simply say that energy can't be created or destroyed. As ZapperZ pointed out, if a system is not isolated, then energy can be brought into it from the outside. Or it can leak out. But it's not created out of nothing.

This of course doesn't answer your question about where energy originally comes from. I think that would require a much greater command of cosmology than I have.

Since you're curious, I thought I might add a couple of more points about energy.

In my understanding, energy is conserved (remains constant over time) as long as the equations of motion of the system have no explicit time dependence. In other words, energy conservation is not a fundamental "law" of the universe. Rather, it's a consequence of the observation that there's no preferred origin for time. In a system where energy is conserved, you can start your clock at zero any time you want and it won't matter.

Given that, one can imagine systems where energy is not conserved. The classical example often given is an oscillating mass on a spring that's being driven by some external (typically periodic) force. Here the choice of zero time does matter. Basically, the longer that driving force is "on", the more energy gets pumped into the oscillating mass.

Finally, the amount of energy in a system is actually quite arbitrary. The kinetic energy of a particle depends on which inertial reference frame the observer chooses. The potential energy of a system is well defined only up to an arbitrary constant. This makes energy quite a different sort of beast than, say, electric charge. The amount of electric charge in a (closed) system is not only conserved, it's invariant. That means charge doesn't vary with the speed of the observer, unlike energy.

Cantab Morgan said:
I think I might more simply say that energy can't be created or destroyed. As ZapperZ pointed out, if a system is not isolated, then energy can be brought into it from the outside. Or it can leak out. But it's not created out of nothing.

Thanks, now I get it. That clears things up a lot.

Cantab Morgan said:
Since you're curious, I thought I might add a couple of more points about energy.

Thanks for that, too. I don't have a scientific background but I think energy is really interesting.

Cantab Morgan said:
In my understanding, energy is conserved (remains constant over time) as long as the equations of motion of the system have no explicit time dependence. In other words, energy conservation is not a fundamental "law" of the universe. Rather, it's a consequence of the observation that there's no preferred origin for time. In a system where energy is conserved, you can start your clock at zero any time you want and it won't matter.

Given that, one can imagine systems where energy is not conserved. The classical example often given is an oscillating mass on a spring that's being driven by some external (typically periodic) force. Here the choice of zero time does matter. Basically, the longer that driving force is "on", the more energy gets pumped into the oscillating mass.

Finally, the amount of energy in a system is actually quite arbitrary. The kinetic energy of a particle depends on which inertial reference frame the observer chooses. The potential energy of a system is well defined only up to an arbitrary constant. This makes energy quite a different sort of beast than, say, electric charge. The amount of electric charge in a (closed) system is not only conserved, it's invariant. That means charge doesn't vary with the speed of the observer, unlike energy.

I wonder where I might be able to learn more about this sort of thing. If you or anyone could recommend any books or websites that someone without much knowledge of science could understand I'd appreciate it.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; it can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. Why is the conservation of energy important?

The conservation of energy is important because it is one of the fundamental principles of physics and is necessary for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, environmental science, and sustainable energy development.

3. How is energy conserved in everyday life?

Energy is conserved in everyday life through various processes such as the conversion of chemical energy in food into mechanical energy for movement, or the conversion of electrical energy into light and heat in household appliances. The energy may change forms, but the total amount remains constant.

4. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of energy?

There are no known exceptions to the law of conservation of energy. However, in certain situations, it may seem like energy is not conserved, but this is due to the inability to account for all forms of energy in a system or external factors that may affect the energy transfer or transformation.

5. How does the conservation of energy relate to the concept of entropy?

The conservation of energy is closely related to the concept of entropy, which is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy transfer or transformation, some energy will be lost as heat, increasing the overall entropy of the system. However, the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, in accordance with the law of conservation of energy.