Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Constant of Integration

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    While taking an AP physics practice exam, I encountered a difference in the way I solve a differential equation and the way the exam's rubric solves it.

The equation is as follows:

[itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{F-KV}{m}[/itex]

My solution:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dv}{F-KV}[/itex] = [itex]\int[/itex] [itex]\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]

u = F-KV

[itex]\frac{du}{-K}[/itex] = dv

[itex]\frac{-1}{K}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{u}[/itex]du = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dt}{m}[/itex]

Integrate that to find

ln|F-KV|+C = -K[itex]\frac{t}{m}[/itex]

But before I go any further, the 1993 Exam's Rubric shows that by integrating [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\frac{dv}{F-KV}[/itex] should yield ln|F-KV|-lnC

To me, this makes no sense. The constant of integration should be ln|u| + C, not ln|u|-lnC

Here's what I'm talking about:
    http://imgur.com/c83p1
    I've also attached the '93's rubric to this post. The problem I'm referring to is problem #2.

Can any of the math/physics gurus out there help me out? :P
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What's the difference? :confused:

Maybe you're confused because you're using C for two different things. Try comparing
    • ln|u| + D, and
    • ln|u|-lnC

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Call your constant of integration K (remember K is completely arbitrary). Now define another constant C by K = -lnC. This gives the formula in the book. Since C is also completely arbitrary, it doesn't matter.

5. Apr 15, 2012 #4
    Ahh. Got it. :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook