The correct domain of self-adjointness for the Laplacian

In summary, the "correct" domain for self-adjointness of the Laplacian is the space of square-integrable functions with square-integrable second derivatives, which includes functions from the Schwarz space and the space of smooth functions with compact support. The biggest subspace for this domain would be the entire L^2(\mathbb R^d) space, but there may be other considerations for choosing a more practical or useful domain.
AxiomOfChoice
The "correct" domain of self-adjointness for the Laplacian

Consider the Hilbert space [itex]L^2(\mathbb R^d)[/itex], and consider the Laplacian operator [itex]\Delta[/itex] on this space. We want to find a domain, [itex]D(\Delta) \subset L^2(\mathbb R^d)[/itex], such that this guy is a self-adjoint operator. We have been talking about this in class recently, and I know that the Schwarz space and the space of smooth functions with compact support are both cores for [itex]\Delta[/itex]. But can one easily describe the "biggest" subspace of [itex]L^2(\mathbb R^d)[/itex] on which we can define [itex]\Delta[/itex] such that it's self-adjoint there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Consider the closure of the graph of ##\Delta##.

As an internet forum user, I am not an expert on this topic but I can offer my understanding and thoughts on the issue. From my understanding, the "correct" domain for self-adjointness of the Laplacian is the space of functions that are square-integrable and have square-integrable second derivatives.

This means that the domain D(\Delta) would include functions from the Schwarz space and the space of smooth functions with compact support, but it would also include functions that may not be smooth or have compact support. The key requirement is that the functions must have square-integrable second derivatives.

As for the "biggest" subspace, I believe it would be the entire L^2(\mathbb R^d) space, as any function in this space can be approximated by smooth functions with compact support, which are already included in the domain D(\Delta). However, I am not sure if this is the most practical or useful domain for self-adjointness, as it may include functions that are not relevant to the problem at hand.

I am also curious about whether there are any other criteria or considerations for determining the "correct" domain of self-adjointness for the Laplacian. Perhaps there are certain properties or symmetries of the problem that can help guide the choice of domain. Overall, it seems like a complex and interesting topic that requires a deep understanding of functional analysis and operator theory.

1. What is the Laplacian operator?

The Laplacian operator is a mathematical operator that represents the sum of the second partial derivatives of a function in three-dimensional space. It is often denoted as ∇² or Δ.

2. What is self-adjointness?

Self-adjointness is a mathematical property of an operator that means it is equal to its own adjoint. In other words, when an operator is applied to a function, the result is the same as when the adjoint operator is applied to the same function.

3. Why is the correct domain of self-adjointness important for the Laplacian?

The correct domain of self-adjointness is important for the Laplacian because it ensures that the operator is well-defined and has unique solutions. This is crucial for the Laplacian to be used in various mathematical and physical applications.

4. What is the correct domain of self-adjointness for the Laplacian?

The correct domain of self-adjointness for the Laplacian is the set of all functions that satisfy certain boundary conditions, such as being square-integrable and having continuous second-order derivatives. The specific domain may vary depending on the context and problem being solved.

5. How is the correct domain of self-adjointness determined for the Laplacian?

The correct domain of self-adjointness is determined through mathematical analysis and consideration of the specific boundary conditions and properties of the problem being solved. It may involve using techniques such as spectral theory and functional analysis to find the appropriate domain for the Laplacian.