The Dark Side of Elephants

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
One point missed here is that the elephants attempting to kill people is a separate issue. This claim is made in a number of other circumstances such as when one house was destroyed and at least one occupant killed, but no food was taken. The proper interpretation of these actions is the subject of debate generally, from what I gather.

DocToxyn

Science Advisor
-Job- said:
Indeed. What is also outstanding in my opinion is that they would be able to carry out a logical process consisting of more than one step:
. i want to kill humans
. humans hide indoors
. if i knock on the door humans come out
. hence i'll kill humans by first knocking on their doors.
Also, if they want to kill humans i'd imagine there would be some sort of rage in the animal. The fact that they're constraining themselves in knocking on the door gently and waiting for people to show up is also a tough case to make, i think.

They may have anthropomorphized this observation. I could see it this way:

-Elephant come into village
-humans are in houses
-elephant explores door since he can smell/hear humans inside
-human responds to sounds at door
-elephant takes human, thus reinforcing behavior
-repeat

The elephant would not necessailry have had to see a human knocking on a door, although one can't rule it out. I can more likely imagine the animal was simply investigating the door and it seemed like he was knocking.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda makes you wonder if god doesn't like india very much.

Perhaps some mad scientist conjured up ways to have psychological control over elephants and use Tesla's earthquake machine?

I'm starting to think so, more each day.

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
DocToxyn said:
I can more likely imagine the animal was simply investigating the door and it seemed like he was knocking.
Yep, should have thought of that one...

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Last edited by a moderator:

Evo

Mentor
There have been battle elephants for ages. Have you forgotten Hannibal?

Ouabache

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Evo said:
There have been battle elephants for ages. Have you forgotten Hannibal?
I do remember Hannibal, I didn't think very many other folks did though.
He and his army crossed the Alps with them. Can you imagine? A lot of elephants didn't make it.. But Hannibal did use them in a famous battle, defeating the Romans at Ticino River. Claudius I (the stammerer) a later emperor of Rome, was a historian so naturally he remembered Hannibal.. Claudius used elephants during his campaign in Britania (more for the effect of surprise than might).

matthyaouw

Gold Member
Last edited:
I don't understand why you call them "slaves"; I doubt they would know what to do with a payslip...

matthyaouw

Gold Member
:rofl:
Probably eat it.

Anyone read this book?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0719561582/qid=1131532519/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-4252437-6578207

It's about an elephant that was continually abuse until it finally cracked and went on a killing spree. After killing it's last owner, the elephant would go into villages to find specific houses and kill the owners. Turned out the elephant was an alcoholic, as was his last owner. The elephant was killing alcoholics because it associated them with his owner, then stealing their booze.

The telling of the actual hunt will end any question as to how quick a study elephants can be.

There now an Endangering species.They have attacking people before hannibaal or before the wheel was invented humans hunted the mamoths during the Ice age and the Indian elephant is one the closest species to the mamoth.I also herd about elphants getting scared when they see another elephants bones when it dies because people used them for war for 100's of years and it became an instinct.

Evo said:
Sad. :frown: These are beautiful, intelligent, social animals. There should be laws against their use as toys and slaves. :devil:
Yeah, it's no wonder that they lash out when they're beaten and chained on a regular basis.

cronxeh

Gold Member
They are doing reruns on National Geographic on Elephants the Dark Side

Next show starts in 3 minutes :biggrin:

lol that is sooo funny

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating