The de Broglie wavelength of molecules

In summary, the de Broglie wavelength tells you about the momentum of a particle. It is shorter for faster particles.
roam

Homework Statement

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/7492/50177994.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I first attempt part (a) since both parts are similar:

(a) I need to know "v" in order to use the following equation to find the de Broglie wavelength:

[itex]\lambda = \frac{h}{p} =\frac{h}{mv}[/itex]

So I first found the kinetic energy of a N2 molecule:

[itex]K=3(1.38065 \times 10^{-23})(300)/2 = 6.21292 \times 10^{-21} \ J[/itex]

So I used the following relationship to work out v

[itex]K=\frac{1}{2} mv^2 \implies v = \sqrt{\frac{2K}{m}} = \sqrt{\frac{2(6.213 \times 10^{-21})}{28(1.6605 \times 10^{-27})}}[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \ v=516.96 \ m/s[/itex]

[itex]\lambda = \frac{6.63 \times 10^{-34}}{(28(1.6605\times 10^{-27})\times 516.96)} = 2.7593 \times 10^{-11}[/itex]

My answer seems wrong because this is 0.0275 nanometers (or 27.589 picometers) which is in the X-ray region of the spectrum! So what did I do wrong? :confused:

Also the question says "compare this with the diameter (less than 1 nm) of the molecule", what does that mean? My value for λ is shorter than the diameter of the molecule which doesn't sound right.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the de Broglie wavelength tell you about the behaviour of a particle in a physics experiment?

Last edited:
NoPoke said:
What does the de Broglie wavelength tell you about the behaviour of a particle in a physics experiment?

It tells us about its momentum, the higher the speed (and therefore momentum) the shorter the wavelength. But my working is not right, is it? Because I think it takes a lot more energy to produce x-rays...

Your working looks good to me, I think. Think about it this way - what would be the de Broglie wavelength of, say, a lead atom or an electron with the same kinetic energy as the sodium atom above? Doe that help?

The de Broglie wavelength is not associated with an electromagnetic wave like an X-ray. Does that help?

So if it isn't an electromagnetic wave what use is it? What insight into the behaviour of large things and small things is it giving you?

NoPoke said:
The de Broglie wavelength is not associated with an electromagnetic wave like an X-ray. Does that help?

So if it isn't an electromagnetic wave what use is it? What insight into the behaviour of large things and small things is it giving you?

Alright, I see. I think it has to do with the wave and particle duality of particles. But I was wondering if my method and working were correct or not?

roam said:
Alright, I see. I think it has to do with the wave and particle duality of particles. But I was wondering if my method and working were correct or not?

that's it. Your method is fine too.

now try the ultra cool question (part b)

NoPoke said:
that's it. Your method is fine too.

now try the ultra cool question (part b)

Okay thank you. Here's what I did for part (b):

[itex]K=3(1.38065 \times 10^{-23})(450\times10^{-12}) /2 = 9.3194 \times 10^{-33} \ J[/itex]

[itex]v= \sqrt{\frac{2(9.3194 \times 10^{-33})}{23(1.6605 \times 10^{-27})}} = 6.98595 \times 10^{-4} \ m/s[/itex]

[itex]\lambda = \frac{6.63 \times 10^{-34}}{(23(1.6605 \times 10^{-27}))\times (6.9859 \times 10^{-4})} = 2.48497 \times 10^{-5} \ m[/itex]

So the de Broglie wavelength is 24.85 μm. Is this correct as well? I'm not sure if it was valid to apply the equation K=1/2mv2 to work out the velocity of the particle, since the kinetic energy of the particles were already given by another formula K=3kBT/2. I'm not sure if that equation is appropriate for this situation of gas particles. :confused:

temperature reduced by 12 orders of magnitude so the de Broglie wavelength increases by 6 orders of magnitude. ( I haven't checked your actual calculation )

yes I believe that both energy equations can still be applied even at such low temperatures , you are right to be cautious of what velocity means when the particle is no longer behaving like an independent lump but like a wave. I know basically nothing about Bose Einstein condensates which is what this ultra cool part b is leading towards. This picture is basically the limit of my knowledge http://cua.mit.edu/ketterle_group/intro/whatbec/what%20is%20BEC.gif All the particles start to behave like a single particle - its beautiful and strange. Gotta love physics.

What is the de Broglie wavelength of molecules?

The de Broglie wavelength of molecules is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of matter, including molecules. It is the wavelength associated with the particle-like behavior of a molecule and is inversely proportional to its mass and velocity.

How is the de Broglie wavelength of molecules calculated?

The de Broglie wavelength of molecules can be calculated using the equation λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the molecule, and v is the velocity of the molecule.

Why is the de Broglie wavelength of molecules important?

The de Broglie wavelength of molecules is important because it helps to explain the wave-particle duality of matter. It also has practical applications, such as in electron microscopy and molecular beam experiments.

How does the de Broglie wavelength of molecules differ from that of light?

The de Broglie wavelength of molecules is much smaller than that of light because molecules have a much larger mass than photons. Additionally, the de Broglie wavelength of molecules is only observable at the atomic and molecular scale, while the de Broglie wavelength of light is observable at the macroscopic level.

Can the de Broglie wavelength of molecules be observed experimentally?

Yes, the de Broglie wavelength of molecules can be observed experimentally using techniques such as electron diffraction or neutron scattering. These experiments provide evidence for the wave-like behavior of matter at the molecular level.