The Heroic Actions of Hugh Thompson Jr. in My Lai Massacre

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, Hugh Thompson Jr. died of cancer last Friday. His is a story worth knowing - he and a few others were the heroes of My Lai. And heroes they were...
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hugh Thompson Jr. died of cancer last Friday. His is a story worth knowing - he and a few others were the heroes of My Lai. And heroes they were...

Hugh Thompson was a helicopter pilot in 1968, on a day American soldiers gunned down more than 500 unarmed civilians in a village called My Lai.

The dead were women, old men and children. And even more of them would have died if Thompson had not confronted his fellow soldiers, stopped their murderous rampage and airlifted a number of civilians to safety.

...Approximately 170 people were marched down in there, including women, old men, babies. And GIs stood up on the side with their weapons on full automatic and machine gun fire.

“There were no weapons captured. There were no draft-age males killed. They were civilians,” says Colburn, referring to the ditch filled with bodies. “It was full … some of the people were still, they were dying, they weren't all dead.”

As Thompson and Colburn were recalling the horrors of that day for 60 Minutes, an elderly woman walked toward us. She said that she had been dumped in the ditch back in 1968, but had survived, shielded by the bodies of the dead and the dying...

...he [Thompson] was inducted on the first ballot into the Army Aviation Hall of Fame
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/06/60minutes/main615997.shtml

The Heroes of My Lai
http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/mylai/Myl_hero.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I read the links you provided. It made for very interesting reading. It shows how little things really change when the same excuses trotted out then ranging from simple denial to "this was just an isolated incident" are still the first line of defence used by politicians and the military today and that those who raise such issues are unamerican or even traitors.

It's scandalous that even when eventually the facts were unearthed only one person was convicted and even he was pardoned shortly afterwards.

well, long time narrow-minded immigrants usually think they are on the horizons of modern world. The writer is one of them, just a guess.

NafiBear said:
well, long time narrow-minded immigrants usually think they are on the horizons of modern world. The writer is one of them, just a guess.

Would you care to explain yourself? And I don't know where you come off about immigrants. The "writers" were, the people involved, and 60 Minutes, which interviewed the men who were there, and a survivor.

A good link, Ivan - this story just goes to show that individuals can overcome the constraints of the situation they are in and behave like normal human beings against all odds. Now I wonder what happened to Thompson's "human nature" there - his selfish interest in nothing but his own self-preservation? (This question is not, of course, addressed to you, Ivan, but to all those who do not believe in the potential for human beings to behave altruistically and in the interests of their fellow humans).

What is "The death of an American hero" about?

"The death of an American hero" is a phrase that refers to the death of a prominent figure or individual who has made significant contributions to American society or history. This could include soldiers, civil rights activists, politicians, and other influential individuals.

Who is considered an American hero?

An American hero can be anyone who has demonstrated bravery, leadership, and selflessness in service to their country or community. This can include military personnel, first responders, activists, and everyday citizens who have made a positive impact on society.

Why is it important to honor and remember American heroes who have passed away?

Honoring and remembering American heroes is important because it allows us to recognize and appreciate their sacrifices and contributions. It also serves as a reminder of their legacy and can inspire others to follow in their footsteps.

What are some notable examples of American heroes who have passed away?

Some notable examples of American heroes who have passed away include Martin Luther King Jr., John F. Kennedy, Rosa Parks, Neil Armstrong, and Harriet Tubman. These individuals have all made significant contributions to American history and continue to be remembered for their bravery and leadership.

How can we continue to honor the memory of American heroes?

There are many ways to honor the memory of American heroes, including participating in commemorative events and ceremonies, visiting memorials and monuments, and educating others about their contributions. We can also continue to promote and advocate for the values and causes that these heroes stood for.