1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Derivative of a log of a trig function

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I came across a question like this on a test today, and it says it would be helpful to simplify before differentiation. However, I could not find ways to simplify (1- cos(x))/(1+cos(x)).

2. Relevant equations

ln((1- cos (x))/(1+cos(x)))^7)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried to multiply by the conjugate of denominator and got (1+2cos(x)+cos(x)^2)/sin(x)^2

But I still do not see how to tackle this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Hint: half-angle formula for cos x.

(EDITED: my mistake, I assumed you were required to integrate rather than differentiate!)

The half-angle formula is still a very good idea, after you apply this, apply the laws of logs to simplify further before differentiating.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    Wouldn't it be easier to use the trigonometric identities for cos^2(x) and sin^2(x)?

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

How would those help?

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5
    Well, given that tan^2(u)=sin^2(u)/cos^2(u) , shouldn't it be possible to rewrite the equation into tan^2(z) , seeing as we have:

• sin^2(u) = 1/2 - 1/2 cos(2u)
    • cos^2(u) = 1/2 + 1/2 cos(2u)

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6

Curious3141

Homework Helper

What's "z"?

The half angle formulae are basically equivalent to the double angle formulae, and they allow an immediate simplification.

Although, frankly, if differentiation is what's required, I don't think prior simplification helps a whole lot.

8. Apr 9, 2013 #7
    z [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ , didn't want it to get mixed up with x

What does it simplify to using the half-angle formulae? Using the previously stated identities it should be possible to simplify the expression inside the logarithm to tan(x/2)

EDIT: That's tan^2(x), not tan(x)!

9. Apr 9, 2013 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Should that be ##\displaystyle \tan^2 \frac{x}{2}##? Because that's what I get with the half-angle formula.

Further simplification with the laws of logs is trivial.

10. Apr 9, 2013 #9
    Yeah, you're right, forgot to square it in my post. I'll edit it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted