Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The difference between 1 mole of C and 1 molecule of C?

1. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:08 AM #1
    As we know, in the case of an atom, 1 mole of C = 6.023 X 10^23 C atoms and in the case of a molecule, 1 mole of C molecule = 6.023 X 10^23 molecules.
    as we know, atoms are used to make molecules, So can I say 1 mole of C atoms make 1 molecule of C because what we get If we break 1 molecule of C I think the answer is 6.023 X 10^23 atoms. So can I say 1 mole of C is the same as 1 molecule of C? please point out where I am wrong above.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2018 at 6:31 AM #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Stop posting half your questions here and half at CF, starting multiple threads. This way you won't move forward and you just combine all possible confusions from answers posted to different questions. Besides, seems like you ask the questions without reading the answers, as you repeat the same errors several times. As much as I wan't to help you I am more and more wondering if you are not just trolling.

Mole and molecule are completely different things. Molecule contains bonded atoms, mole doesn't. You were told multiple times mole is similar to dozen, it is just a collection of 6.02×1023 objects.

4. Apr 15, 2018 at 9:59 AM #3
    Ok, thank you for pointing out my mistakes. Could you tell me please what to do myself If I am stuck or can't clear my concept in the same thread? will I keep asking different questions related to the same topic in the same thread until I clear my concept or start multiple threads? Please suggest me.

5. Apr 15, 2018 at 10:17 AM #4

Borek

Keeping to one thread is typically much better. Not always, and it sometimes makes sense to start a new one when the old one drifted in a wrong direction (you can always ask Mentors whether it will be appropriate or whether they can clean up the thread from side discussions).

6. Apr 15, 2018 at 10:48 AM #5
    1. say, I start a thread and received some answers but did not clear my concept. I waited for 2 or 3 days for the replies to my question but did not get any replies. then what should I do? to start a new thread or to ask a mentor as you said above 'whether it will be appropriate...;
    2. Where to ask the mentors?

7. Apr 15, 2018 at 11:18 AM #6

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.

No, not at all. Let's assume that we have 1 mole of CH4 molecules (also known as methane). One mole of methane contains one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms, because each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms. Does that make sense?

8. Apr 15, 2018 at 11:20 AM #7

Borek

You can always bump a thread after 24h.

Either using report function (link below a post) or sending a direct PM.

9. Apr 15, 2018 at 12:34 PM #8
    Say, I post a thread and I received some replies but still, I did not clear my concept and I waited for 24 hours but did not get any replies. Should I use 'report' to get replies regarding that concept in the same thread or I will start a new thread?

10. Apr 15, 2018 at 12:42 PM #9
    1. ''Each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms'' Here one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms mean 'one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms'?
    2. Is it possible to get one molecule of C because you pointed earlier that 'If C means the element carbon, then you cannot have molecules of C. You would need a C4 molecule or something.'? Could you clarify it, please?

11. Apr 15, 2018 at 12:58 PM #10

russ_watters

Keep your discussions of a topic in one thread. Period. Do not "report" it and do not start a new thread. If you don't get any new replies after a couple of days, simply "bump" it by replying to one of the responses you got and saying what, specifically, you are still confused about.

12. Apr 15, 2018 at 12:59 PM #11

Borek

No, individual molecule is made of individual atoms.

Molecule is made of several atoms. C is either a symbol of an element (and as such doesn't refer to neither atom or molecule) or a symbol of a C atom. In the latter case, as molecule is made of several atoms, just C is not a molecule, C2 or C3 would be.

13. Apr 15, 2018 at 8:33 PM #12
    1. 'Each individual molecule is composed of one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms'' Here one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms mean 'one mole of carbon atoms and four moles of hydrogen atoms'?--------- Here one carbon atom means what? What should I consider 'one carbon atom''? one single carbon atom or one mole of carbon atoms and same question ''four single hydrogen atoms or four moles of hydrogen atoms. in the above context?

2.' Molecule is made of several atoms. C is either a symbol of an element (and as such doesn't refer to neither atom or molecule) or a symbol of a C atom. In the latter case, as molecule is made of several atoms, just C is not a molecule, C2 or C3 would be.'------------You said above that 'just C is not a molecule' but below in the rection
    C + O2 = 2CO
    Here in the reactants above, what should I consider 'C'? 'a molecule of C or what"

14. Apr 15, 2018 at 8:37 PM #13

Drakkith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One carbon atom is exactly what it sounds like. A single carbon atom.

It's a single atom of carbon.

15. Apr 15, 2018 at 10:21 PM #14

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

One carbon atom is not a molecule. One carbon atom is not a mole of carbon. One carbon atom is not an element of carbon. Maybe someone like Borek will help clarify any distinction between Element and Atom.

Graphite is made of carbon. Element? As a compound?

16. Apr 15, 2018 at 11:01 PM #15

russ_watters

The wording says precisely what is meant. Nothing more, nothing less. If you, yourself are adding words, you are changing the meaning.

17. Apr 16, 2018 at 1:37 AM #16

DrDu

Science Advisor

In the case of e.g. a diamond, you could argue that a diamond of 12 grams is in fact a single macromolecule composed of 6 x 10^23 atoms of C. So you could say that 1 diamond molecule ##\mathrm{C_{6\times 10^{23}}}## equals 1 mole of C atoms. But take in mind that usually when speaking about solid elements and no other specification is made, when speaking of one mole of an element, we are referring to 1 mole of atoms of which the element is made up. In former times, in the case of elements, one used to speak of "gram-atoms" instead of moles, to make this distinction clearer. However, as, with the exception of radiological units, we decided to break with the babylonian tradition to use different units for apples and pears, in both cases mole is is used as a unit and it is left to the user to make clear whether he is referring to atoms or some kind of molecules.

18. Apr 16, 2018 at 1:44 AM #17
    Carbon in elemental state does not exist as a molecule,
    So, now considering generally any single species formed by group of atoms then, you can call it a molecule(eg:methane, carbon dioxide, dioxygen etc..)
    In case of mole, its the general term used to denote a group of avagadro number(N A =6.022 x 10^23 particles) of particles(which may be atoms, ions, or molecules)
    so, 1 mole C contains 6.022 x 10^23 individual carbon atoms in it( its really huge quantity :p)

19. Apr 16, 2018 at 4:53 AM #18
    1. How many questions (including homework) should I ask for 24 hours?
    2. Where to PM to any mentor If I want some help?

20. Apr 16, 2018 at 5:33 AM #19

russ_watters

Stop this. You are being dense, whether you know it or not.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook