The Dirac equation in Weyl representation

In summary, the student is attempting to solve the free Dirac equation in the Weyl representation and is having difficulty with the energy momentum relation. He is unsure of how to add the mass term from the Dirac equation to each matrix element. He is told that m should be thought of as multiplied by the unit matrix and that the terms with an overall change of sign should be expected.
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Compute the antiparticle spinor solutions of the free Dirac equation whilst working in the Weyl representation.

Homework Equations

Dirac equation
$$(\gamma^\mu P_\mu +m)v_{(p)}=0$$
Dirac matrices in the Weyl representation
$$

\gamma^\mu=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \sigma^i \\
-\sigma^i & 0
\end{bmatrix}, \
\gamma^0=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & I \\
-I & 0
\end{bmatrix}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked through the algebra numerous times but I can't seem to get the correct energy momentum relation out, my workings are attached, apologies I'm not too strong with Latex yet. Any ideas on where I may be going wrong would be greatly appreciated :)
DSC_0155.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0155.JPG
    DSC_0155.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 801
Physics news on Phys.org
Milsomonk said:
$$

\gamma^\mu=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & \sigma^i \\
-\sigma^i & 0
\end{bmatrix}, \
\gamma^0=
\begin{bmatrix}
0 & I \\
-I & 0
\end{bmatrix}
$$
Are you sure you have the correct form for ##\gamma^0## in the Weyl representation?

Also, you haven't specified the sign convention that you are using for the Minkowski metric: (1, -1, -1, -1) or (-1, 1, 1, 1). The choice will determine which components of a 4-vector change sign when raising or lowering an index.

Ah somehow I managed to shove a minus sign in the gamma zero matrix that shouldn't be there. Also, sorry, I'm using mostly minus :). I have tried again with the correct matrices but I'm having a similar issue...
new.JPG

Attachments

• new.JPG
    new.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 668
How did you get E+m in the locations indicated below?
upload_2017-11-20_11-17-9.png

Another thing to consider. For most people, the vector ##\vec p## would denote the 3-vector with contravariant components ##(p^1, p^2, p^3)##. So, for example, ##\gamma^1 p_1 = \gamma^1 (-p^1) = -\gamma^1 p^1##.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-20_11-17-9.png
    upload_2017-11-20_11-17-9.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 634
Hi,
Its just the mass term from the Dirac equation which I have to add to each matrix element, unless I've done something daft. Ah so my momentum terms should have an overall change of sign?

Milsomonk said:
Hi,
Its just the mass term from the Dirac equation which I have to add to each matrix element, unless I've done something daft.
You don't want to add m to all the matrix elements. You should think of m in the Dirac equation as multiplied by the unit matrix.

Ah so my momentum terms should have an overall change of sign?
Yes.

Thanks very much for your help :) Looks like I have the correct solution now.

OK. Good work.

1. What is the Dirac equation in Weyl representation?

The Dirac equation in Weyl representation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of fermions, or particles with half-integer spin, in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s as a way to combine special relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. How does the Dirac equation differ from the Schrödinger equation?

The Schrödinger equation describes the behavior of particles with integer spin, while the Dirac equation is specifically designed for fermions with half-integer spin. Additionally, the Dirac equation includes terms for both time and space, whereas the Schrödinger equation only includes a time-dependent term.

3. What is the significance of the Weyl representation in the Dirac equation?

The Weyl representation of the Dirac equation is a specific form of the equation that separates it into two independent equations for the particle's left- and right-handed components. This makes it easier to solve and understand the behavior of fermions in quantum mechanics.

4. How is the Dirac equation related to the concept of antimatter?

One of the groundbreaking implications of the Dirac equation is that it predicts the existence of antimatter, particles with the same mass as regular matter but with opposite charge. This was later confirmed experimentally and has led to many important advancements in particle physics.

5. In what other fields is the Dirac equation used?

The Dirac equation has applications in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and cosmology. It is also used in theoretical models of black holes and other astronomical phenomena, as well as in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of electrons in materials.