1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Dirac equation in Weyl representation

1. Nov 20, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the antiparticle spinor solutions of the free Dirac equation whilst working in the Weyl representation.

2. Relevant equations
    Dirac equation
    $$(\gamma^\mu P_\mu +m)v_{(p)}=0$$
    Dirac matrices in the Weyl representation
    $$

\gamma^\mu=
    \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & \sigma^i \\
    -\sigma^i & 0
    \end{bmatrix}, \
    \gamma^0=
    \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & I \\
    -I & 0
    \end{bmatrix}
    $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked through the algebra numerous times but I can't seem to get the correct energy momentum relation out, my workings are attached, apologies I'm not too strong with Latex yet. Any ideas on where I may be going wrong would be greatly appreciated :) DSC_0155.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure you have the correct form for ##\gamma^0## in the Weyl representation?

Also, you haven't specified the sign convention that you are using for the Minkowski metric: (1, -1, -1, -1) or (-1, 1, 1, 1). The choice will determine which components of a 4-vector change sign when raising or lowering an index.

4. Nov 20, 2017 #3
    Ah somehow I managed to shove a minus sign in the gamma zero matrix that shouldn't be there. Also, sorry, i'm using mostly minus :). I have tried again with the correct matrices but i'm having a similar issue...
    new.JPG

5. Nov 20, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get E+m in the locations indicated below?
    upload_2017-11-20_11-17-9.png

Another thing to consider. For most people, the vector ##\vec p## would denote the 3-vector with contravariant components ##(p^1, p^2, p^3)##. So, for example, ##\gamma^1 p_1 = \gamma^1 (-p^1) = -\gamma^1 p^1##.

6. Nov 20, 2017 #5
    Hi,
    Its just the mass term from the Dirac equation which I have to add to each matrix element, unless I've done something daft. Ah so my momentum terms should have an overall change of sign?

7. Nov 20, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't want to add m to all the matrix elements. You should think of m in the Dirac equation as multiplied by the unit matrix.

Yes.

8. Nov 20, 2017 #7
    Thanks very much for your help :) Looks like I have the correct solution now.

9. Nov 20, 2017 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Good work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted