Satisfying Dirac equation, how to make equal to zero.

In summary, the conversation discusses the Dirac equation and its components. The attempt at a solution involves multiplying out the equation and showing that the left hand side is equal to zero. It is then realized that if the particle is at rest, all the components of the equation would be zero and the relation between energy and mass would be E=mc^2.
rwooduk

Homework Statement

AZGM7km.jpg

Homework Equations

Dirac equation: $$(\gamma ^{\mu}\rho_{\mu}-mc)\psi=0$$

The Attempt at a Solution

If we multiply out the Dirac equation by inserting all it's components we get:

a8n4gLY.jpg

which if I've multiplied it correctly gives $$
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{E}{c}-mc\\ 0
\\ \rho_{z}
\\ \rho_{x}+i\rho_{y}

\end{bmatrix}e^{-\frac{iEt}{\hbar}}=0$$

I'm not sure how to show the left hand side is equal to zero?

edit just realized that it is at rest so all the ##\rho## components would be zero, but then I still don't see how E/c - mc multiplied by the exponential would give zero?

Any help / ideas would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the particle is at rest, what is its relation between energy and mass?

Likes rwooduk
mfb said:
If the particle is at rest, what is its relation between energy and mass?

ahhhh E=mc^2 so the term in the matrix would be zero, many thanks!

1. How do I solve the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, and numerical methods. It is important to understand the underlying principles and assumptions of the equation before attempting to solve it.

2. Why does the Dirac equation need to be equal to zero?

The Dirac equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles such as electrons. In order for the equation to accurately describe the behavior of these particles, it must be equal to zero to satisfy the conservation of energy and momentum.

3. What are the implications of satisfying the Dirac equation?

By satisfying the Dirac equation, we can accurately predict the behavior of spin-1/2 particles and understand complex quantum phenomena such as electron spin, electron-positron annihilation, and atomic energy levels. This equation has also led to the development of new areas of physics such as quantum field theory.

4. Is the Dirac equation always applicable?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic wave equation that is valid for spin-1/2 particles moving at high speeds. It is not applicable for particles with integer spin or for particles moving at low speeds. In these cases, other equations such as Schrödinger's equation or the Klein-Gordon equation may be more suitable.

5. Can the Dirac equation be used in other fields of science?

While the Dirac equation was originally developed for use in quantum mechanics, it has also found applications in other fields such as condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. Its principles have also been applied to the study of other particles such as quarks and neutrinos.