The directions of normal and shear stress

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
yecko
Gold Member
Messages
275
Reaction score
15

Homework Statement


螢幕快照 2018-04-06 上午8.43.51.png

Homework Equations


direction of normal and shear stress

The Attempt at a Solution


I view it like A and C are the same; B and D are the same...
as both shear stress of A and C points outwards and shear stress point to the corner with 135 deg
vice versa for B and D

what should I notice from this problem and what theorem can I apply to it so that I can distinguish the correct answer?
thank you
 
Attachments
  • 螢幕快照 2018-04-06 上午8.43.51.png
    螢幕快照 2018-04-06 上午8.43.51.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,314
Physics news on Phys.org
E is to draw the correct answer by yourself
 
yecko said:
what theorem can I apply to it so that I can distinguish the correct answer?
Newton’s second law.
 
yecko said:
E is to draw the correct answer by yourself
Oh I think I understand. Image (e) is just a blank that asks you to draw in the correct diagram. Well since (a), (b), (c), and (d) may be incorrect, it is best to get out your pencil and paper and start drawing up (e). Draw free body diagrams of either plane A or B, using Newton's laws, and utilize your knowledge of vectors and vector components acting normal and perpendicular to the inclined section.