The effect of a field on a particle depends on the particle velocity?

In summary: Well, ##v=0## requires an exception :wink:Thank you...I know lorentz force...what I want from the question is to understand d'alembert's principle and what I meant by inertial force of the particle due to its kinetic energy is that when a force acts on a moving body it will follow some path I can have the same path if I assumed the particle is at rest and transformed the kinetic energy to force then apply the same force as the situation when it was movingI really still don't understand... Do you have a reference or an example?
ahmadphy
Assume there is a force (vector field) on the space .....does the effect of this field on the particle(the change of momentum) at some position depend on the speed at that position? And is it related to the time interval dt the particle experiences this force ? Can i say dt=dx/v? And is that related to the inertial force of the particle due its kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @ahmadphy ,
:welcome: ## \qquad## !​
ahmadphy said:
Assume there is a force (vector field) on the space .....does the effect of this field on the particle(the change of momentum) at some position depend on the speed at that position?
That is possible, yes. Example: charged particle in a magnetic field. Google Lorentz force.

ahmadphy said:
And is it related to the time interval dt the particle experiences this force ? Can i say dt=dx/v? And is that related to the inertial force of the particle due its kinetic energy?
The force itself does not depend on ##{\rm d} t##.
You can say ##{\rm d }t={\rm d} x/v## because that's the definition of ##v##.
[ edit ] mathematicians may frown on this...I don't know what 'the inertial force of the particle' means.

##\ ##

Likes ahmadphy and vanhees71
BvU said:
Hello @ahmadphy ,
:welcome: ## \qquad## !​

That is possible, yes. Example: charged particle in a magnetic field. Google Lorentz force.The force itself does not depend on ##{\rm d} t##.
You can say ##{\rm d }t={\rm d} x/v## because that's the definition of ##v##.
[ edit ] mathematicians may frown on this...I don't know what 'the inertial force of the particle' means.

##\ ##
Thank you...I know lorentz force...what I want from the question is to understand d'alembert's principle and what I meant by inertial force of the particle due to its kinetic energy is that when a force acts on a moving body it will follow some path I can have the same path if I assumed the particle is at rest and transformed the kinetic energy to force then apply the same force as the situation when it was moving

ahmadphy said:
Thank you...I know lorentz force...what I want from the question is to understand d'alembert's principle and what I meant by inertial force of the particle due to its kinetic energy is that when a force acts on a moving body it will follow some path I can have the same path if I assumed the particle is at rest and transformed the kinetic energy to force then apply the same force as the situation when it was moving
Also when I asked if I can say that dt=dx/v is it always mathematically correct?

ahmadphy said:
Also when I asked if I can say that dt=dx/v is it always mathematically correct?
Well, ##v=0## requires an exception :wink:

ahmadphy said:
I really still don't understand... Do you have a reference or an example?

##\ ##

1. What is the relationship between a field and a particle's velocity?

The effect of a field on a particle is directly dependent on the particle's velocity. This means that the strength and direction of the field will have a greater impact on a particle that is moving at a higher velocity compared to a particle that is moving at a lower velocity.

2. How does a particle's velocity affect its interaction with a field?

The velocity of a particle determines how much it will be affected by a field. A particle with a higher velocity will experience a stronger force from the field than a particle with a lower velocity. Additionally, the direction of the particle's velocity can also affect its interaction with the field.

3. Can a particle's velocity change the direction of a field?

Yes, a particle's velocity can change the direction of a field. This is because the particle's velocity affects the strength of the field, which in turn can alter the direction of the field. This is known as the Lorentz force and is often seen in electromagnetic fields.

4. How does the type of field affect the particle's velocity?

The type of field can have a significant impact on a particle's velocity. For example, a magnetic field can cause a charged particle to move in a circular path, while an electric field can accelerate a charged particle in a straight line. The strength and direction of the field will determine the speed and trajectory of the particle.

5. What happens to a particle's velocity when it enters a field?

When a particle enters a field, its velocity will be affected by the force of the field. The particle's velocity may change in both magnitude and direction depending on the strength and direction of the field. This interaction between the particle and the field is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles in various environments.