1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Energy Contained in a FunyunI must be mistaken?

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm required to find the amount of energy via calories in a single funyun and then calculate the amount of calories per gram.

2. Relevant equations
    Q=(M)C(deltaT)(Energy gained)
    Q=M(deltaT) (Get Q in calories minus C because specific eat for water is same as joules per calory)
    Calories per gram = calories /mass of food/1000

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I set up my home made Calorymeter(Had to make it) . So I lit it on fire and got managed to get a Delta Temperature. Then did Q=61gx(16.7) And got 1018.7Calories. But my problem is..Can a single Funyun contain 1000+ calories? Am I doing something wrong? I got 0.848 for calories per gram, which sounds reasonable..I may be right but I'm confused about this. Every funyun we eat contains 1k calories?..K i just multiplied 0.848 x 1.2 and got 1.0716 ..Does this have something to do with the bag having a Capital C for 1k calories and what not?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2
    Food labels have kilocalories on them. 1 Kcal = 1000 calories = 4.2 KJ.
    1 kcal for each funyun seems plausible, maybe even too low. Pure fat is about 9 kcal/g. Carbohydrates 4 kcal/g. Whats the weight of a funyun?

You have 1018 Calories for each funyun, but .848 calories per gram. The second number must be kilocalories.

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    I'm did not weigh the funyun. =/ However If those most a healthy person is to eat in a day is 2000-300o calories then how does can a 1018 calory funyun even be realistic?

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4
    Of course those are 2000-3000 kilocalories as well. so if a funyn really has 1018 calories is 1.018 kilocalories, you could eat 2000 a day.

6. Sep 24, 2009 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Were you actually instructed to find the calories this way? Could you not just read the Calories and weight info from the package?

Also (as willem2 said) 1 food Calorie = 1000 calories

Note the uppercase "C" is used for food Calories.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook