The explanation of brownian motion

• Thread starter Misr
  • Start date
http://xanadu.math.utah.edu/java/brownianmotion/1/

"In my way of thinking the phenomenon is a result of thermal molecular motion in the liquid environment (of the particles)." This is indeed the case. A suspended particle is constantly and randomly bombarded from all sides by molecules of the liquid. If the particle is very small, the hits it takes from one side will be stronger than the bumps from other side, causing it to jump. These small random jumps are what make up Brownian motion.
I can't imagine

Answers and Replies

mathman
Science Advisor
It happens to be correct. Einstein first described this in one of his famous 1905 papers.

okay,I still can't imagine
the phenomenon is a result of thermal molecular motion in the liquid environment (of the particles)." This is indeed the case. A suspended particle is constantly and randomly bombarded from all sides by molecules of the liquid. If the particle is very small, the hits it takes from one side will be stronger than the bumps from other side, causing it to jump

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
What can't you imagine? And please don't repeat the same quoted text again.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
okay,I still can't imagine
It's similar to the board/tabletop game Crossfire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossfire_(board_game [Broken])

The molecules and atoms impact the object at random intervals. This leads to small motions as the object is hit more on one side than the other in a short period of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Okay, you've stated a fact - that you can't imagine. I guess this thread is done. Commencing lockage... 10...9...

Unless you had a question you wanted to ask.