The eyes have it: Globeandmail.com

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes
In summary: It's amazing how many people are really paranoid about being watched. Just try looking up at a sky scraper for a while.In summary, Alexandra Gill explores a British scientist's theory that claims humans have the ability to sense when they are being watched. However, there are doubts about the validity of the experiment and its statistical manipulation, leading to the conclusion that people may just be generally paranoid about being watched.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"ALEXANDRA GILL suspends her disbelief and tests a British scientist's theory that we really can tell when someone's watching us"

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20030809/FCSHEL/TPScience/

Please bare in mind that as with all news links, I am only posting FYI. I am promoting no particular theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... I do have some doubt about the method he used. Especially about his manipulation of the statistics. I don't think he is really justified to divide up the categories as he did, as that defeats the idea of a placebo in the first place.

If we take away his slant at it, we can see what the actual data was.

With 20 runs...

times correct: 12
times incorrect: 8

Is that significant? No.

IMHO, the way he deal with the data opens up a large number of problems.

For example, if Mrs Gill simply picked "being watched" all the time, the data would be:

times correct: 10
times incorrect: 10

As his is only looking for correct cases WHEN he is actually looking, he can then say that the result supports his case fully, as she is clearly(!) incapable of sensing when he isn't watching and very effective at sensing when he is.

All this really tells to me is that people are generally paranoic, and may be influenced by the way he, and those who repeated it, conducted the experiment. Notice for example that it is impossible to conduct the experiment without first informing the participant he may be being watched, triggering a paranoic response.

Did you guys see the movie "Sliver" with Sharon Stone. It dates some years ago. Some guy installed lots of cameras in an apartment building. He rented the room to all sorts of different people and he played God with them. Aproaching some of these people "by chance" on the street for "a survey" I think would give better results.

1. What is "The eyes have it: Globeandmail.com" about?

"The eyes have it: Globeandmail.com" is an online article published by the Globe and Mail newspaper that discusses the importance of eye health and the latest advancements in eye care and research.

2. How does the article explain the function of the eyes?

The article explains that the eyes are complex organs that allow us to see the world around us. They receive light and convert it into electrical signals that are sent to the brain, which then interprets them as images.

3. What is the main message of the article?

The main message of the article is to highlight the significance of taking care of our eyes and staying informed about advancements in eye care. It also stresses the importance of regular eye exams and early detection of eye diseases.

4. What are some of the latest advancements in eye care mentioned in the article?

The article mentions advancements such as gene therapy for inherited eye diseases, new treatments for dry eye syndrome, and the use of artificial intelligence in diagnosing eye diseases. It also discusses the potential of stem cell therapy for restoring vision in those with retinal diseases.

5. How can people improve their eye health?

The article suggests maintaining a healthy diet, wearing sunglasses to protect against UV rays, taking regular breaks from screen time, and seeing an eye doctor regularly. It also emphasizes the importance of quitting smoking, as it can cause various eye diseases and vision loss.