The final temperature of a gas?

In summary: Therefore, the final temperature is 625K, not 625C. This is because when using the ideal gas law, temperature must be in Kelvin.
JustinLiang

Homework Statement

Starting with 2.50 mol of N2 gas (assumed to be ideal) in a cylinder at 1.00 atm and 20C, a chemist first heats the gas at constant volume, adding 1.52x10^4J of heat, then continues heating and allows the gas to expand at constant pressure to twice its original volume. Calculate the final temperature of the gas.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
ΔU=Q-W
ΔU=nCvΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part suggests that the system is in a constant volume. Thus:
ΔU=Q
nCvΔT=Q
(2.5mol)(5/2)(R)(Tf-20)=1.52x10^4

I solve for Tf and I get 312.5C.

Now the next part suggests the system is at a constant pressure and the volume doubles.
So I use PV=nRT where n, R and P are constant.
V/T=V/T
1/312.5C=2/T

I solve for and I get 625C. However the answer in the back is 899C. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
JustinLiang said:
Now the next part suggests the system is at a constant pressure and the volume doubles.
So I use PV=nRT where n, R and P are constant.
V/T=V/T
1/312.5C=2/T
For this equation, T must be expressed as an absolute temperature, not in degrees C.

What factors affect the final temperature of a gas?

The final temperature of a gas is affected by the initial temperature, volume, and pressure of the gas, as well as the amount of heat added or removed from the system.

How is the final temperature of a gas calculated?

The final temperature of a gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the product of the gas's pressure and volume is directly proportional to the number of moles of gas and its temperature, or using the formula for specific heat, which takes into account the amount of heat added or removed from the system.

What is the relationship between volume and temperature in determining the final temperature of a gas?

According to Charles's Law, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature, meaning that as the temperature increases, so does the volume. This relationship must be taken into account when calculating the final temperature of a gas.

How does the type of gas affect the final temperature?

The type of gas can affect the final temperature due to differences in the specific heat capacities of different gases. Some gases require more heat to raise their temperature, while others may reach a higher final temperature with the same amount of heat added.

What is the significance of the final temperature of a gas?

The final temperature of a gas is important in understanding the behavior and properties of gases. It can also be used to predict changes in pressure or volume of a gas, and to determine the efficiency of heat transfer in a system.