1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The force and torque between two permanent magnets?

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    Hi all =)

I am interested to find the forces and torques between two (diametrically magnetized) cylindrical permanent magnets (PMs) placed within a vicinity, as shown below:
    PMs_ooazaq.png
    The NdFeB PMs placed beside one another with a distance, d. Both are rotated by independent external sources (I have solenoids to independently drive the PMs). This will affect each PM in terms of the torque and force.

So I am just wondering if I could use the same force/torque equations (e.g. for the force as shown below) between two axially magnetized PMs for the diametrically magnetized ones as well:
    Force_between_2_cylindrical_magnets_gjzzuu.png
    I do not have a software for this, thus I would need to model it mathematically.. (i have spent weeks trying to find a way to do it but I ran out of idea)

I see that most cases are calculated for axially magnetized PMs so I am not sure if the generally available equations for the axially magnetized PMs can be used in my case. I got pretty confused as to how I should compute the dynamics (force and torque of one PM (primary) when another is closely present).. as well as how far should the PMs be apart so I could ignore the effect of the other PM onto the primary PM.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone with ideas and advice =) Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2
  4. Dec 20, 2015 #3
    Thanks, Dr Courtney. Seems like FEM is the best way to approach problems like this?

5. Dec 21, 2015 #4
    Experiment is the best way. FEM can be tricky, and results must be validated to be reliable.

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5
    I have some hall effect sensors which could help get the magnetic field at a certain location..I could use that for force or torque verification through my equations. Do you have any suggestions on what sensors or equipment I could use in experiments as such? Thanks again~! =)

7. Dec 22, 2015 #6
    If your FEM or equation predicts force, you should measure force. The same is true with torque. There are a lot of ways to measure force: displacements of pendula, electronic sensors, etc. Measuring torque is harder.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook