The formula for a tangent plane to a surface

In summary, the formula for the tangent plane to a surface involves taking the partial derivatives of the function at a given point and using them as the coefficients for x, y, and z in an equation. The constant on the right side of the equation can be split up into the three coordinates or kept on the left. Regardless, setting the coordinates to their given values makes the equation true.
Mazzur
Hey I'm trying to understand how we arrive at the formula for the tangent plane to a surface. An image of what I'm talking about it shown below.

I think understand all the parts up to part c, but i don't see how we arrive at that final formula. The image of first part of the solution is shown just to provide context.

Screenshot (14h 10m 36s).jpg

Screenshot (14h 07m 23s).jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Mazzur said:
I think understand all the parts up to part c, but i don't see how we arrive at that final formula.

Hey Mazzur! Welcome to PF! :smile:

∂f/dx|ro ∂f/dy|ro and ∂f/dz|ro are all constants, and they are the constants that have to be the coefficients of x y and z …

that's the bit you understand, isn't it? :wink:

So the equation has to be
∂f/dx|rox + ∂f/dy|ro y + ∂f/dz|roz = constant,

and all they've done is to put that constant on the left of the = sign, and split it up between the three coordinates.

If you prefer, you can put it back on the right, like this …

∂f/dx|rox + ∂f/dy|ro y + ∂f/dz|roz = ∂f/dx|roxo + ∂f/dy|ro yo + ∂f/dz|rozo

either way, you can see that putting x = xo, y = yo, z = zo, makes the equation true. :smile:

1. What is the formula for a tangent plane to a surface?

The formula for a tangent plane to a surface is given by P(x,y,z) = F(a,b)+Fx(a,b)(x-a)+Fy(a,b)(y-b), where P(x,y,z) is the equation of the tangent plane, F(a,b) is the equation of the surface at the point (a,b), and Fx(a,b) and Fy(a,b) are the partial derivatives of F with respect to x and y, evaluated at (a,b).

2. How is the formula for a tangent plane derived?

The formula for a tangent plane is derived using the concept of a linear approximation. It is based on the idea that at a specific point on a surface, the tangent plane is a good approximation of the surface. By using this approximation and considering the slope of the surface at that point, the equation of the tangent plane can be derived.

3. What is the significance of the tangent plane to a surface?

The tangent plane to a surface is significant because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a surface at a specific point. It provides information about the slope and direction of the surface at that point, which can be useful in applications such as optimizing surfaces and determining the rate of change.

4. Can the formula for a tangent plane be used for any type of surface?

Yes, the formula for a tangent plane can be used for any type of surface, as long as the surface is differentiable. This means that the surface must have continuous partial derivatives at the point of interest.

5. How is the formula for a tangent plane used in real-life applications?

The formula for a tangent plane is used in various applications, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. In computer graphics, it is used to create 3D models and animations. In engineering, it is used to optimize surfaces for different purposes. In physics, it is used to analyze the behavior of surfaces in motion.