1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The formula pV=1/3Nm(c_rms)^2 in non cuboids

1. Jun 13, 2014 #1
    Does [itex]pV = \dfrac 1 3 N m \left(c_{rms}\right)^2[/itex] apply in containers that aren't cuboids? The derivation I have seen uses a cuboid container so I'm not sure if or how this can be generalised.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #2

Philip Wood

Gold Member

An amusing 'derivation' uses a spherical container. It is very simple because it doesn't involve x, y and z components. Yet the factor of [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex] enters in what seems like a quite different way from the way it enters in the cubical box method. So if you take the cubical and the spherical container methods together, you get quite a strong feeling that the shape of the box doesn't matter! But if you really want to be convinced, you need, imo, a more sophisticated approach...

Consider the molecules reaching a small 'patch', area A of wall in any shape of container. The rate at which they bring momentum normal to the wall up to the area A is given by
    [tex]\frac{\Delta p_x}{\Delta t} = \frac{1}{2} A\ m\ \nu\ \overline{u_x^2}[/tex]
    Here x is the direction normal to the wall, [itex]\overline{u_x^2}[/itex] is the mean square velocity component normal to the wall and [itex]\nu[/itex] is the number of molecules per unit volume. It's easy to get from here to the formula you quote – without assuming any particular shape of container.

This derivation is much more satisfying than ones assuming particular shapes of container. It is to be found in J H Jeans: The Kinetic Theory of Gases and no doubt in many other texts. I reproduce a version of it in the thumbnails.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  4. Jun 18, 2014 #3

Philip Wood

Gold Member

GeneralOJB Are you any clearer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook