The formulas for parallel and series connections

In summary, In the original problem, current can only flow through the first 4s in parallel, but on the transformed diagram, current can go through the 5 ohm resistor.
Arka420

Homework Statement

g65YTaE.png

Find the equivalent resistance between A and B. All resistances shown are in ohm.

Homework Equations

The formulas for parallel and series connections.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted to redraw the circuit and my redrawn diagram looks like this.
gRcLsFJ.png

I don't think it's correct,because I'm not getting the correct answer from this circuit diagram.
The only troublesome part is the 5 ohm resistor. My idea is that no current passes through it. If I make that assumption,then the answer comes out beautifully. Do I sniff a Wheatstone bridge (and zero potential difference) somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the original diagram, current can go through the first 4's then come back through the 5, This isn't possible on your diagram. (also it could then go through the 20 from the 5 - again, not possible on your diagram).

Not sure what the question is asking but I'd start simplifying resistance. So replace the first two 4s in parallel with a 2 ohm, and continue on in that fashion.

Word of warning. I'm horrible at these sort of things, I'm only here hoping someone can help me with one of my problems).

Current always takes the easiest path. Why would it be so keen to retrace its path and encounter a few extra resistances in the process?

Arka420 said:
Current always takes the easiest path. Why would it be so keen to retrace its path and encounter a few extra resistances in the process?

upload_2015-8-10_0-24-22.png

Most of the current will take the easiest path, but that doesn't mean it all does.

Eg, Circuit has branch, one has 2ohm resistor, the other 4. Do you really think it ALL goes via the easier path?

Picture a supermarket queue. There's a fast moving 10 items or less queue, or a slow moving Checkout.
Sometimes you can stand behind 10 people going into the 10 items or less queue or you can wait for one person with a fat trolley of groceries.

If one of the paths were say 1000 Ohms then you can pretty much treat it as a broken wire, but otherwise, you have to consider all the options.

Attachments

• upload_2015-8-10_0-24-9.png
    upload_2015-8-10_0-24-9.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 543
I'd be thinking something like this :

upload_2015-8-10_0-36-37.png

And keep simplifying parallel circuits til things look simpler.

Again, warning, not my specialty, but something to think about.

You seem to have an answer, see if you can keep reducing it in that fashion and see what you get.

I actually calculated the net resistances for the original problem. Then I calculated the net resistance for the picture you drew, and I get the same net resistance in ohms. So I'd say you drew it correctly. Let me know if you need further explanation.

Here's my thinking, the two x 4s are essentially a single 2. So from that side it can go along either 2 ohm path. Then they'd cancel each other out going through the 5, so no current flows through that resistor.

upload_2015-8-10_1-39-34.png

Likes Arka420
The transformed diagram in post #1 is fine, although more complicated than necessary. The approach of post 7 is easier, and it gives the right argument why no current flows through the 5 ohm resistor.

Fat_Squirrel said:
Here's my thinking, the two x 4s are essentially a single 2. So from that side it can go along either 2 ohm path. Then they'd cancel each other out going through the 5, so no current flows through that resistor.

View attachment 87088
Good thinking,man. I was thinking of coupling the two 20 ohm resistors,but I didn't think of coupling the two 4 ohm resistors. You did both,which revealed that the setup is nothing more than a simple Wheatstone bridge (a balanced one),which led to an easy answer (one without decimal digits).

What is the formula for a parallel connection?

A parallel connection is when two or more electrical components are connected side by side with each other, allowing the current to split and flow through each component separately. The formula for a parallel connection is: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the equivalent resistance of the entire parallel circuit and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances of each component.

What is the formula for a series connection?

A series connection is when two or more electrical components are connected end to end, allowing the current to flow through each component in the same path. The formula for a series connection is: Rt = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where Rt is the equivalent resistance of the entire series circuit and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances of each component.

How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn. You will need to know the individual resistances of each component in the circuit. Once you have calculated the total resistance, you can then use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the total current in the circuit.

How do I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you can use the formula: Rt = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn. You will need to know the individual resistances of each component in the circuit. Once you have calculated the total resistance, you can then use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the total current in the circuit.

What is the difference between a parallel and series connection?

A parallel connection allows the current to split and flow through each component separately, while a series connection forces the current to flow through each component in the same path. In a parallel connection, the total resistance is less than the individual resistances, while in a series connection, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. Additionally, in a parallel connection, if one component fails, the others will still function, while in a series connection, if one component fails, the entire circuit will stop working.