The Illusion of Anti-Gravity (aka a Superior Mirage)

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Anti-gravity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 8K views
hutchphd said:
I think it is still puzzling why there was insufficient warning from the watch.

I think it's not that puzzling with the stars as the only source of light.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Dark adapted from parapet on a crystal clear night with low swell I would think one should be able to see an iceberg ahead using only starlight, absent these aberrations. I am interested in the opinion of the several good sailors amongst us.
 
hutchphd said:
Isn't this the same effect that some folks think sunk HMS Titanic?

HMS is reserved for warships of the Royal Navy.

I'd need to check Titanic but it would have been SS (steamship) or RMS (Royal Mail Ship).

Regarding the photo, it looks like the British have resorted to innovative tactics to beat the post-Brexit trade tarriffs.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nsaspook and hutchphd