The internet, Physics Forums, and Dr. Neutrino

• Thread starter OmCheeto
  • Start date
300 Gb? I picked up a 300 gig for $100. Try multiple terabytes! Check out the HP Blackbird, friggin' insane comp!

OmCheeto
Gold Member
300 Gb? I picked up a 300 gig for $100. Try multiple terabytes! Check out the HP Blackbird, friggin' insane comp!
Are those 32 or 64 bit bytes?
My January '75 Popular Electronics magazine said that 256 bits of memory were worth about $1.75. A one terabyte drive at 32 bits per byte would have been worth over $200 billion back then. wow.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Our workstations are Duo/Quad/8-core using at least 3 500 GB drives, and we can fill one HD up in a few weeks, because we're limited by the number of CPU's available and processor speed. We also use removable 500 GB HDs.

The farthest back I go was the internet client portal of Prodigy. Anyone use that? I barely remember, but I'm sure that was my first use of the Internet on my dad 28.8k modem!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
The farthest back I go was the internet client portal of Prodigy. Anyone use that? I barely remember, but I'm sure that was my first use of the Internet on my dad 28.8k modem!
We started with a 14.4 k modem and quickly upgraded to a 28.8k, then 56k. We did dialup through AOL until the local cable company introduced their service.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I started with Prodigy at 9600. :biggrin: In fact... I think that my very first connection was at 2400. It was a long distance call.

I remember that it took over two or three hours to download my first pic: A well known shot of Jupiter taken by the Hubble scope.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I started with Prodigy at 9600. :biggrin: In fact... I think that my very first connection was at 2400. It was a long distance call.

I remember that it took over two or three hours to download my first pic: A well known shot of Jupiter taken by the Hubble scope.
Does dial-up to bulletin boards at 300 baud count?
My sister actually was the first person in the family to hook up to the internet.
She prompted me to sign up for Prodigy.
It was all up/downhill from there.:smile:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, I think my 2400 baud connection was to a local bulletin board.

Okay, I can beat that: I once used a pre-internet system, using ASCI. I was probably running at about 1 bit per second...maybe as high as 4 baud.

Translation? :biggrin:

Last edited:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Yeah, I think my 2400 baud connection was to a local bulletin board.

Okay, I can beat that: I once used a pre-internet system, using ASCI. I was probably running at about 1 bit per second...maybe as high as 4 baud.

Translation? :biggrin:
Morse code?

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yep. :biggrin:

Even though ASCII is the American Standard Code for Information Interchange, it has often been referred to in jest as American Standard Code II, with morse code being ASCI.

Last edited:
Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I cut my teeth on Dr. Neutrino back in '96.
I used to post on Dr. Neutrino from about 1998 till it went offline. Remember the member "munu"? He was one smart cookie. I wonder if he's at PF now...

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I used to post on Dr. Neutrino from about 1998 till it went offline. Remember the member "munu"? He was one smart cookie. I wonder if he's at PF now...
Did you miss this link?: http://home.europa.com/~garry/drneutquestion2805.htm" [Broken]

The last known remnant of the site.

So far no one has fessed up to being any one of the characters. Though I gave a hint as to which one I was.

Last edited by a moderator: