The last sanctioned exorcism

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, an exorcism was performed in 1928 in a convent near Earling, which was one of the last officially sanctioned by the Catholic Church. This event was reported in various pieces of literature, including "Begone Satan" by Rev. Carl Vogl, "The Devil Rocked Her Cradle" by David St. Clair, and "The Exorcist" by William Peter Blatty, which was later turned into a famous horror film. The power to perform exorcisms is given to every parish priest in the Catholic Church, with permission from their bishop, and there are various types of exorcisms. The conversation also discusses a personal experience with possession and self-hypnosis, with one person claiming to
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In 1928, an exorcism was performed in a convent just north of the peaceful hamlet of Earling. It was one of the last exorcisms officially sanctioned by the Catholic Church. The case was reported in several famous pieces of literature. One is a 48-page booklet called "Begone Satan" by the Rev. Carl Vogl, a witness to the event. The second is a book, "The Devil Rocked Her Cradle," by David St. Clair. The third is a novel inspired at least partly by this exorcism and one other in Washington, D.C. The book is called "The Exorcist" by William Peter Blatty and it inspired a film of the same title, which is considered to be one of the most frightening horror films ever made.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10421201&BRD=2554&PAG=461&dept_id=507134&rfi=6

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i had a possession experience of my own and subsequently a psychologist called it a form of self-hypnosis.

I have a question. Sanctioned by whom? IIRC every parish priest in the Catholic Church has the power to perform exorcisms, and they do it with the permission of their Bishop. They are not unheard of in the USA. Maybe this was the last one sanctioned in England? Or maybe the writer didn't know which end is up?

selfAdjoint: Yes, I was confused on that too.
phoenixthoth: Do you mind telling us how you managed to hypnotize yourself like that? That's like looking at your own eye or clapping with three hands or something similarly weird.

i didn't hypnotize myself as far as i knew. they just said that's what it was, a self-hynotic state, without explaining to me how i hypnotized myself. what i find strangely amusing is that the being's name was jonathan. weird...

Oo! I want to hear more, send me a PM if you prefer.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
I have a question. Sanctioned by whom? IIRC every parish priest in the Catholic Church has the power to perform exorcisms, and they do it with the permission of their Bishop. They are not unheard of in the USA. Maybe this was the last one sanctioned in England? Or maybe the writer didn't know which end is up?

You seem to be correct.
The fourth Council of Carthage (398), in its seventh canon, prescribes the rite of ordination for exorcist; the bishop is to give him the book containing the formulae of exorcism, saying, "Receive, and commit to memory, and possesses the power of imposing hands on energumens, whether baptized or catechumens"; and the same rite has been retained, without change, in the Roman Pontifical down to the present day, except that instead of the ancient Book of Exorcisms, the Pontifical, or Missal, is put into the hands of the ordained.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05711a.htm

There are several kinds of exorcisms. Perhaps the casting out of demons is rare compared to the other forms.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05709a.htm

Oo! I want to hear more, send me a PM if you prefer.

no, that's cool, i'll write about it here. I'm not afraid of people telling me that what happened to me didn't happen. all such lines of reasoning are quite predictable and I've been through it already.

to make a long story short, there were times (from an hour to a few hours) that i have no memory of and my friends reported to me that i was talking a lot for the whole time and that i said my name was jonathan. then i guess i "woke up" or "snapped out of it" and they were talking to me as if i was still jonathan and i was like, "what are you guys talking about?" from my perspective the topic of conversation suddenly underwent a radical change.

of course a good question is "were they pulling your chain?" well, one time, the last time, that i "snapped out of it," i was lying on the ground face up with my brother's hands on my face and his face was right up against mine and it was shaking and he was trying to make me snap out of it. of course, he could have been pulling my chain then, too, but it's hard to be convinced of that by the expression on his face not to mention his past history with me and the fact that i didn't remember how i got on the ground.

do i believe i was "possessed" by a "demon" or "spirit?" i really have no idea but i doubt it. luckily, no permanent damage was done nor any actions taken that would have been damaging to others.

Weird.

What is "The last sanctioned exorcism" about?

"The last sanctioned exorcism" is a term used to refer to the final exorcism officially approved by the Catholic Church. It is often used in the context of horror movies and books, but it is a real practice performed by trained priests in response to cases of demonic possessions.

Is "The last sanctioned exorcism" a common practice?

No, "The last sanctioned exorcism" is not a common practice. It is only performed in extreme cases where all other medical and psychological explanations have been ruled out, and the person is believed to be truly possessed by a demon.

How is "The last sanctioned exorcism" performed?

The process of "The last sanctioned exorcism" follows a strict protocol set by the Catholic Church. It involves a trained priest performing prayers, reciting passages from the Bible, and using holy objects such as crucifixes and holy water to drive out the demon from the possessed person.

What happens after "The last sanctioned exorcism" is performed?

After "The last sanctioned exorcism" is performed, the priest will declare the person free from demonic possession. The person will be advised to continue with spiritual practices and seek support from the Church to prevent any future possessions.

Is "The last sanctioned exorcism" considered a miracle?

The Catholic Church does not consider "The last sanctioned exorcism" as a miracle but rather a spiritual practice that can only be performed by trained priests. However, some people may perceive it as a miraculous event due to the dramatic nature of the process and the perceived supernatural abilities of the possessed person.