The link between electricity and magnetism

In summary, the conversation discusses the link between electricity and magnetism and why moving electrons create a magnetic field. It also touches on the relationship between electricity and magnetism in terms of Maxwell's equations and special relativity. Additionally, there is a mention of a thought experiment that explores the connection between electrostatic force and the magnetic force through a non-relativistic lens.
hover
Hey everyone,
I have a few questions. What is the link between electricity and magnetism? Why would moving electrons(current) create a magnetic field? Why does a moving magnetic field induce a current in a conductor?

Thanks for responces.

Physics news on Phys.org
hover said:
Hey everyone,
I have a few questions. What is the link between electricity and magnetism? Why would moving electrons(current) create a magnetic field? Why does a moving magnetic field induce a current in a conductor?

Wow! *head explodes*

This is an extremely good question, and fun to answer at whatever level you intended it. If you're just asking exactly how electromagnetics behave, I would answer by talking about Maxwell's equations, explaining that changing electric fields produce magnetic fields and vice versa, and so on.

If you're asking, at a slightly more philosophical level, why electricity and magnetism are related by a small set of simple equations, I would talk about Einstein and special relativity and show how electricity and magnetism are in fact exactly the same force, looked at from different points of view (but this requires talking about time dilation and things like that).

If you're asking, at a very philosophical level, why electromagnetism "is", and why these formulas would happen to work out this way in a universe, I would suggest that someone else talk to you about field theories, and symmetries, and stuff I know little about.

Please choose, but choose wisely.

FAQ: The link between electricity and magnetism

What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The relationship between electricity and magnetism is known as electromagnetism. This means that an electric current can produce a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current.

How does electricity create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. The strength of this magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire.

How does a changing magnetic field induce an electric current?

According to Faraday's law of induction, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor. This is the principle behind generators and transformers, which use changing magnetic fields to generate electricity.

What is the difference between permanent magnets and electromagnets?

Permanent magnets are made of materials that are naturally magnetic and can maintain their magnetism without an external source of energy. Electromagnets, on the other hand, are created by passing an electric current through a coiled wire and can be turned on and off by controlling the current.

How is the link between electricity and magnetism used in everyday life?

The link between electricity and magnetism is used in various everyday devices, such as motors, generators, speakers, and electric transformers. It also plays a crucial role in technologies like MRI machines and particle accelerators. Additionally, the flow of electricity through power lines is made possible by the magnetic fields created by electric currents.